Chapter 15

Carl's POV

It was getting dark and I'm not going to lie, I'm lost. I've been wondering around the neighborhood for awhile and I think I took a wrong turn or something because I can't find the house. That's not the worst part either. There's been no walkers around. I thought of many reasons there weren't but only one thing occurred to me. If there's no walkers around and I didn't clear any out, then who did? I wondered around a little more before getting tired. I sat in the middle of the road breathing heavily. I ran my fingers through my hair.

What can I do?

I had no clue where I was. I didn't have any way to get in contact with Adalyn or my dad. I was fucked.

I looked up to see a cloud of smoke in the night sky. What idiots, the walkers can see that from miles.

It then occurred to me. It could be Adalyn sending me a sign, or my dad. I jumped up and started running towards the smoke. I ran faster and faster and my breathing started to haste. I turned a corner to see the house up in flames and walkers packed around it. My eyes widened and my mouth hung open.

"No." I woke as my body collapsed and I fell to the ground. My head fell into my hands as tears streamed down my face. I couldn't hold myself together anymore. Everything that I had been holding inside me for too long just poured out. The sadness, depression, the things I kept inside to share with no one but myself. All these feelings.

Turned to anger.

I shifted my eyes to the walkers all around me. I grabbed my knife and slowly pulled it from my holster. I swung my arm back and with all my strength jammed it in a walkers skull. And another. And another. And another. Multiple walkers hitting the ground like sacks of dead puppies. I body slammed another to the ground and bashed it's head in.

"YOU DID THIS!" I yelled kicking another back and stepping on its head.

"YOU SHOULD'VE STAYED WITH HER!" I screamed as I slammed the back of my gun in another walkers head.

"IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!" I broke a walkers leg and killed it with a stab to the head.

One last walker growled at me from behind and I turned to face the beast.

"AAAGGGHHHH!" I screamed in its face pushing it back to the ground. It tried to get back before I punched it. Again. And again. And again. Until my hand was covered in its blood and brain. It layed there motionless. Dead. I fell to the ground again. And began to cry even more. I will never see her again. I never got to tell her how much she meant to me. It was my job to protect her. And I screwed it up.

"I don't know what to do." I spoke softly to myself.

"WHAT DO I DO!" I yelled beat my hands against my head.

_____________________________

ADALYN'S POV

I ran inside the house hoping to find Carl already there. I busted through the door only to see Rick.

"Where's Carl?" I said shakily.

"I thought he was with you." Rick said approaching me.

"H-he's not back yet?" Tears started to fill my eyes.

"What happened." Rick said as I fell to the ground.

"It was a herd. I had to leave-He told me leave." I looked to the floor.

"He probably just ran into some walkers somewhere, clearing em out, he'll be back soon." Rick said pulling me close. I cried into his shirt as he held onto me.