Chapter 13: I Found You

I stared down at the mud. I knew they were Rick's but I just couldn't follow them. I don't know why. Something inside of me just told myself that if I followed them I'd just fuck up his life even more. Then I realized. There was more than one set of footprints.

Carl.

I smiled and tears steamed down my face. I fell on my butt and just started crying. He was alive. Rick was alive. I needed to find them. I wiped my tears away and started walking.

The other direction.

I couldn't let myself fuck their lives up. It was my fault all this happened. I didn't kill Joseph. I had the chance and I didn't kill him. So he came back and killed half the people Rick saved and brought to the prison. Who knows, half our group could be dead too. Rick could be dead? And so could Carl. Shit, I'm practically dead myself.

I found a walker roaming by itself and took it down. As it fell I wiped the sweat off my forehead with my arm. I bent down and sliced open its stomach. I dug my hands into the guts and spreaded it all over my clothes. After I was done I threw up. Yes, I puked. It's fucking disgusting I mean come on. I grabbed my knife off the ground and left.
____________________________

After walking for awhile I merged with a herd. More and more kept following. And I was part of it. I was lost. I was walking with these things and they didn't notice me. I was dead with them. Nothing more. I realized I didn't want to be dead. I didn't want to be part of them. I wouldn't have it. I grabbed my knife and stabbed the walker in front of me in the head. And now, I had a whole herd after me. I stabbed another throwing it on top of two more. Then I threw my knife at one that was farther away and it fell to the ground dead. There was about 15 more I had to deal with and I had no weapons. I ran to the closest tree and started grabbing a branch to break. But it wouldn't break. My heart thumped as walker's gained on me and the branch still wouldn't budge. I kicked a walker back away from me. I finally broke the branch and when the walker rose to its dead feet again I plunged the branch into its skull. I yanked it back and did the same with 3 more walker's until the branch broke. I ran to the walker thay I threw my knife at and yanked my knife out of its head. I killed the remaining walker's with my knife until one was left. At that point I was bursting into tears. I was breathing heavy. As the walker closed in on me I kicked it's leg breaking it causing it to fall to the ground. It's hand reached for me but I broke it as well. I stomped it's head into the ground until nothing but mush was left. I fell to the ground and cried.
______________________________

CARL'S POV

I shot some of the men who attacked the prison before running inside the prison to find Adalyn. I ran up to her cell and seen she wasn't there.

"Adalyn!" I yelled. I ran back downstairs yelling her name.

"ADALYN!" I screamed. I felt my eyes tear up until I heard more explosions from outside. I ran back outside to see the prison over runned by the attackers and walker's coming in from the knocked down fences. I shot as many of the enemies as I could. I ran everywhere looking for my dad. No sign. I realized that the explosions stopped. I ran back around to the front to find a man in a marine cap dead beside the tank. A bullet through his brain killed him.

"Carl!" I heard my dad yell. I ran from around the other side of the tank and seen two walker's in front of him. I shit them both down before he noticed me. He started crying and I ran and hugged him.

"Adalyn where's Adalyn?" Rick asked me.

"I-I don't know."

I helped my dad walk and we went for the woods.

"Don't look back, Carl. Don't look back." He said.
_____________________________

We found a house to settle in. We cleared out a store before that and got a bunch of food and water. My dad was in bad shape so we had to stop. Settle down. We had to find a way to find the others. I had to find Adalyn. I know she's alive.