Chapter 38

I remember that a few years ago before a test of mine I felt like that was it. I felt like this test would decide everything about my future. But if I could go back and tell myself that I would find Raymond I would because he is who I was destined to be with. I've come so far and I wanted to be known for who I am but where I am is exactly where I want to be.

I was at the court getting the adoption papers verified. We decided that we would sign everything in front of Emily so I went to the court to get everything we needed.

"Thank you so much!" I said to the woman who handed me the papers and I made my way back home.

Home. It sounds perfect.

I have a bad feeling in my chest but I think they're just nerves. So I rolled down the windows and just breathed.

As I pulled into the house I took a deep breath and exited the car.

With the papers in my hand I quietly made my way to Emily's room.

"I'm home!" I said with a huge smile as I swung the door open.

My smile faded when I saw Raymond standing on the foot of the bed. The bed was empty. Two women from the pack were stripping the sheets from the bed and stuffing them into black plastic bags.

"What's going on? Where's Emily?" I asked.

Raymond turned around, looked at me and walked right out the door after brushing past me.

"Where is she? What's happening?" I shouted.

He just kept walking. I looked at the two women for help and they just shook their heads. So, I ran after Raymond.

I ran and stood right in front of home. He stopped in his tracks but didn't say anything.

"Where is she?" I asked.

He grabbed my hand and pulled me to the back of the house.

There, on a stretcher laid a little body, covered by a white sheet.

I pulled my hand away from Raymond's and ran to the stretcher.

With shaky hands I removed the top half of the sheets.

There she was.

"Emily?" I whispered in a weak tone.

"She's gone mam. I'm sorry but we have to get the body to the morgue." Said the man in a blue uniform.

By this point I just wished that I would wake up from this terrible nightmare.

So with wide eyes I slowly walked back away from the black car. Slowly until I didn't know what was happening and I fell on my backside

It would be so much easier if I just woke up with a jolt and Emily would smile at me and laugh.

But it's not. This happened. She's gone.

I don't know how. I don't know why. But she's gone and I have to live with it.

But what made this even worse was that Raymond gave me one look and walked right back into the house.