Chapter 18

The next day, I woke up to a text from Brent; "Good morning Catherine. Thought you could use some relaxing from all that math stuff, so get up and get ready. I'm picking you up at noon to go somewhere. Don't worry. I already informed all your teachers." I couldn't believe the text he sent me. I've never ditched school before. He talked to my teachers though, so it's alright.. Right? After debating with myself for awhile, I decided I would go. "Ok, I'll be ready. Where are we going?" I texted back. "It's a surprise ;)" he texted back. Oh my. I got dressed in a cute red zip up sweatshirt and jeans. Then, I decided to leave my naturally curly hair the way it was. The doorbell rang right on time. I grabbed my phone and met Brent at the door. "So are you going to tell me where we are going now?" I asked him as soon as we got in his car. "Fine. We are going to the ice skating rink and to lunch." He stated. "I don't know how to ice skate." I said embarrassed. "It's okay. I'll teach you." He said with a wide smirk. "Why are you doing this?" I asked. "Because I think we both deserve a day off from school and the stress. Plus, there's no one else I would want to spend my day off with." He said smiling. Now I was completely confused. Was he kidding or being serious? I thought he liked Kylie? This boy is confusing. "So, what happened to Kylie?" I asked curiously. "What do you mean?"he asked. "I thought you were going to ask Kylie to the dance?" I asked confused. "Oh. Well I was thinking about it but there's another girl I kind of like too. I'm not really sure yet. It just depends how things work out." He stated. "Oh" I said. We finally arrived at the ice skating rink. We got our skates and as soon as I got on the ice I fell on my butt. Brent thought that was hysterical. I glared at him as he helped me get up. "It's easy, once you get the hang of it. Here, I'll help you. Follow my lead" he said as he went behind me and grabbed my waist. Next thing, I knew he was leading me around the rink. "Ok so put you left foot out then your right and keep doing that. It's kind of like you're walking." He said to me. I tried what he said. "Hey! I'm actually getting the hang of this!" I turned around to find Brent but he wasn't holding me anymore. I saw him standing by himself. Oh my. I'm skating by myself! I started to freak out. "Brent!!!! Why would you let go of me?" I yelled at him. "Because I believed you could do it and look at you you're doing it!!" He said grinning widely. I smiled. "Yea I guess I am. Thanks for teaching me and thanks for letting me go." A flicker of pain went through his eyes as if he took my words too serious. He immediately hid the pain with a smile and said "Anything for you." Brent and I skated the rest of the day together. It was nice and peaceful. Then he took me to touché cafe, a fancy restaurant. There we talked about how we were now champs at ice skating. Brent gestured to walk me home. We finally arrived at my doorstep. I turned to face Brent and said "Thank you so much, I had a great day!" Brent walked closer to me, our faces almost touching, and said "I always have great days when I'm with you." Thump thump thump thump! I could feel my heart beating. It felt like it was going to come out of my chest! Before I knew what was happening, I felt Brent's sweet lips on mine. My first kiss!! Wow! This is amazing!! "See you tomorrow" he winked and then walked away, leaving me standing there in a state of shock still feeling where his lips hit mine just a few minutes ago.