The Game

Wake was still blabbering about her name. "Yeah. I know it's weird for the Lady Ninja of Nature to have a name like Wake. Y'know, it might be more like a Water Elemental's name. Well then again, it's more like Earth maybe? I dunno."

Is she joking in a situation like this? Well I need to psych myself up then. Alright Nya, this is your first one on one fight relying solely on your elemental powers. You have to play it carefully, and you have to play to win...

An annoying, squeaky voice interrupted my thoughts. "If you're trying to think of a plan to beat me, I can save you some time. You can't beat me, so stop trying to make a plan, Nya."

Ugh. She's so cocky. But... it looks like she might have the experience to back it up. Alright, so I know she has seed grenades and vine patches but what else is she capable of?

"Nya! I'm getting bored! If you won't make the first move, then I will!"

"What?" Ugh, I hoped that she'd give me more time to think...

"Time for an old fan favorite! Go my pretty vine patch!" Wake suddenly launched a patch of rapidly growing vines at me, vines that breezed past my head, grazing my cheek with their thorns.

Ugh... she's so fast... but she's not exactly accurate in her shots...

"That was a warning shot, lady ninja of water! Give up while you still have a chance!"

A warning shot, huh? Well maybe I should push my luck...

"Misako... get somewhere safe... and get ready to flee if we need to."

I broke away from Misako, rushing towards Wake, the lady ninja of nature.

Ugh. Now she's got me thinking about lady ninjas and elements and things. Ugh. She's nothing more than a tiny, leafy brat.

"Wow those ninjas really didn't teach you anything about stealth, huh?" Wake braced herself, just as I charged at her, just as I planned. She probably has a trick or two up her sleeve.

"Ha. Don't worry about what I've learned from the boys! You could stand to learn a few things from them about strategy!" I dove past Wake, then jetted up the huge thorns of the vine-wall she "strategically placed" behind her with a couple of blasts of water from my hands.

"Hey! That's my elemental trick! Get back here!"

Wake leapt up the thorns behind me, but she was admittedly faster than me...

Alright. Now she's away from Misako, so I can really lash out if I need to.

I leapt off the sides of the wall, jumping over to the treetops of the nearby forest.

"Ugh. First you use my wall to your advantage, then you use my hiding in the trees strategy? Can't you be original for once?"

Quickly, I ducked under the cover of a branch that was brimming with green leaves despite the fact that autumn was coming.

I'm glad the outskirts of the city have so many evergreens. It'd be harder to hide in a orange, yellow, and red rainbow of leaves. This should buy me some time while she's searching for me but... ugh. Actually beating her won't be as easy. I need... a plan.

"Seriously? Now you're hiding from me? Those ninja really have ruined you, Nya! Or maybe you've ruined yourself. Y'know, I've heard that you've been a damsel in distress a bunch of times, even with your Samurai X costume!" With every word, Wake's voice crept closer and closer to me, and had I not been thinking straight, I probably would've given away my position just to prove her wrong with a shot of water across her face but then again, it's not just my life on the line, Misako's in danger now too.

I need to distract her... so Misako and I can get out of here. Alright... concentrate... concentrate...

An orb of water formed in the palm of my hand, honestly it was a bit shaky but... I should be able to manage.

Careful... careful...

"Alright... now..!" I sent the orb through the lower areas of the the forest, making sure to loudly bash it against the bark and leaves.

"There you are Nya! Quit running from me!" Wake's voice trailed off, she obviously took the bait.

*~*

"Nya! There you are! C'mon!" Misako had driven my moped around the forest, past the looming vine walls and back onto the main road we were traveling on. "It was an excellent plan, by the way."

"Thanks." I sighed. "Could you drive for a bit, Misako? I need... to think for a second."

Just who was that girl? Why was she... after me?

*~*

"Ugh. I can't believe she tricked me. What the heck, Wake? How could you let yourself be tricked?"

"Talking to yourself again, Wake?"

"Ahh! Don't sneak up on me, Jazz! I'm a trained kunoichi! I could've killed you!"

"Yeah just like how you could've killed Nya but didn't and instead you let her escape?"

"Tch. That wasn't even my fault! I locked her in with my vine wall! She escaped through the forest! You were here! So why didn't you stop her?"

"I actually just came to watch her beat you into the ground. I already accomplished my mission."

"Wait! You had a mission too? Why didn't anyone tell me? What was your mission?"

"Let's just say you'll get a rematch with Nya very soon, if you play your cards right."

"Ugh. Always so cryptic, lady ninja of shadow. It gets annoying after a while, you know that, right?"

"Whatever. Let's get going back to the base before morning. I gave up twelve hours sleep for this."

"I still don't get how you can sleep so much and be so active on missions."

"It's because I'm a kunoichi so I know how to be a professional."