Trouble or Nothing

Oh... what am I doing? Am I really about to jump directly into an obvious trap?

My moped surged over a speed bump on the road back to New Ninjago City. I had been going down this exact road literally hours before but this time, I didn't have the company of Misako.

There's no telling how many kunoichi will be waiting for me when I get to Chen's noodle shop... ugh and yet I still haven't turned around to ask the ninja for help...

"Mmmf. Ask the ninja for help... ugh. No. I have to handle this on my own."

I revved my moped into fifth gear, I honestly don't want to be out there longer than I have to be, I haven't slept in a while.

I don't know if I want information, closure, or just revenge...

I quickly glanced in the rear view mirror to make sure I wasn't being followed.

Hopefully Sensei Wu and the others didn't notice me sneaking out from my balcony...

*~*

After about a half an hour drive, I found myself back in New Ninjago City, namely, Mister Chen's Noodle House; a small, gaudy building with numerous bright lights of varying color's draped around it.

"Alright... Chen's Noodle shop... and I'm right on time."

Technically, I still have like... 20 hours left until they leave. But... I wonder how this place is doing since Chen was sent to the Cursed Realm...

"Well... no point in wondering when I can just step inside and check."

*~*

The interior of the noodle shop was a completely different universe from its bright, shining exterior. Simple mint green walls were the only adornment here, while the only thing eye-catching about the place was the bright red hair of its new owner, Skylor.

"Nya?" The red-haired daughter of Chen immediately recognized me as I breezed through the door.

Hm... I wonder where the Kunoichi are.

"Oh h-hello, Skylor!" My reaction time was off. The lack of sleep and the paranoia of not knowing where my foes lay hidden is really... difficult to work past.

"Wow. It's been a while, huh?" Skylor began leaning on the counter, grinning widely at me. "So I hear you're a ninja now too."

"Eh. Not exactly." I returned her smile, as best as I could, while taking a seat at the counter.

"Huh. Well, anything you'd like to talk about, over breakfast? I've pretty much mastered my True Potential of noodle making." She giggled.

I found myself giggling at the Jay-style of Skylor's joke. "Sure."

*~*

Skylor had shown me to a booth, given me my menu, and prepared a bowl of surprisingly delicious pancake-and-syrup noodles all in just under five minutes. She brought me a glass of orange juice and a cup of what I assume to be coffee, for herself.

"Mmm! Deese are so sweed!" I garbled in between slurps.

"Glad you like them. Those are a Skylor-original!" Skylor's smile faded a bit. "I've been trying to add new flavors and recipes to my dad's old menus but... it's kinda slow going."

"Well I'm sure you'll find a way." I felt a sigh escape my throat but... that wasn't my plan.

"Something wrong, Nya?"

"I-It's nothing. Um... Skylor, shouldn't you be worried about the customers?"

"Well it's still pretty early so nobody new has come in yet but... my new hired help should be coming through in a few minutes."

Hired help..? I wonder who that could be...

"So... what's eating you?" Skylor questioned, drinking the last of her coffee.

"Well... I'm supposed to meet with some... erm... friends of mine, here. They're a little um... dangerous."

I don't even know how many of them there are...

"Dangerous friends, huh?" Skylor began playing with a stray straw wrapper, left behind by the previous table-goers. "I know a little something about those. Back on my father's island, the only friends I could have were at least semi-dangerous..."

Wow. I completely forgot she was raised around evil snake-worshipping cultists.

"Well I guess-"

"Excuse me. Can my friends and I get some refills at our table please?"

A girl wearing a white shirt with purple writing on it had appeared at our table, a smile shining from her face although she had just rudely interrupted us. Her long, reddish-brown hair was in a braid that was calmly lying on her right shoulder.

"Oh sure. Nya, I'll be right back."

For some reason, when Skylor left to get the girl's refills, the girl stayed behind. In all honesty, she was practically sitting in the booth with me.

"Um... shouldn't you be getting back to your friends?" I chirped.

"Well... I've actually been waiting for another friend of mine. So... I've got some time to blow, Nya."

At first I was shocked that she knew my name but... Skylor kinda just said it so...

"Well... okay, I guess. So-"

"Seriously, Nya. You should put your guard up. Have you forgotten why you came here? Geez."

No... she can't be... is she... a Kunoichi?

"I'm the one who wrote you the letter. I'm also the leader of the lady ninja, aka the Kunoichi. My name's Free, I'm the Elemental Master of Wind, and I'm here to kidnap you!"