Rinse and Repeat

The Black Phoenix's POV:

The next morning, I was greeted by Wake breaking into my room and dragging me out of bed. I'm pretty sure that's gonna be a routine thing...

"Come on, BP! You can't be late for a morning meeting! Morgan will freak!" Wake's messy ponytail bounces behind her as she dragged me down the staircase to the meeting room.

"But-But... I haven't had breakfast, or taken a shower!" Or enjoyed any time away from you crazy people!

"Eh. You'll do it after the meeting. Meetings come first."

Why are meetings such a big thing? She's usually so playful but...

"Alright." I yawned, my mouth full of morning breath.

Yeesh... at the very least, could she have allowed me to brush my teeth..?

*~*

"Good morning everybody!" Free seemed like the absolute picture of happiness and sunshine... at 4 in the morning. I guess she woke up earlier than the rest of us, considering that she looked showered, clean, and was in uniform.

The rest of us, of course, were all nodding off. Even Ronin looked like he might try catching a few Z's in between Free's orders.

"Alright. Today's order of business. Shade and Ronin, you're going to be making breakfast."

What? Ronin... as our cook?

"I'll be sure to add extra poison to your eggs, doll face."

"And I'll be sure to dock a couple hundred dollars off your pay if I have any complaints."

"Grrr..."

I glanced over at Shade. She seemed to be back as her usual, distant self instead of the wild nightmare I met yesterday. My eyes jumped off of her when she met my gaze.

"If that's all for me then," She sighed. "I'll go get to work."

"Kayde, you'll be helping Skylor and Wake in Skylor's restaurant."

"What? But Free... tails and kitchens don't... mix..."

Tails don't seem to mix with a lot of things, huh Kayde?

"You'll be fine. I trust you." Free's smile was accompanied by the sweet scent of cookie dough and Kayde's expression instantly changed.

"I'll do my best."

"That's all I ask." The Kunoichi's leader turned to me. "Alright Black Phoenix. Today's be your first mission and... you'll be with me and we'll be outside the base."

What? So... I'm essentially free... with Free..? Which... isn't really free at all.

"Um... okay. What's the mission?"

"You'll actually like it a whole lot. I assure you, you'll be in your element." She winked and dismissed us and as she did so... I had to wonder...

What is THAT supposed to mean..?

*~*

"Oh. This is what you meant."

The loud cawing of seagulls, accompanied by the salty scent of the sea was starting to make me rethink my plans of being with the Kunoichi, especially Free.