The Flower Blooms at Midnight Pt 1

A/N: Wow. This took... forever. Sorry everyone who actually reads this. I'll try to update more because I actually know how I want this story to go.

The Black Phoenix's POV:

Today's mission was... actually pretty easy. I honestly wasn't expecting a mission with the leader of the Kunoichi to go over so well. But... then again, I guess she was there to make sure I didn't escape or do mess up.

I had just finished changing into a lighter set of clothes (pajamas given to me by Wake) when I heard a soft knocking at my bedroom door.

"Ronin, if that's you, I'm gonna tell Free to dock your pay agai- Oh... Skylor." I said, observing the pretty, softly-smiling redhead in my doorway. "What's up?"

I was wondering when she'd come to me with some information.

"Ny- er- Black Phoenix," She corrected, her voice a low whisper, "I need to talk with you for a moment. May I come in?"

"Of course." I replied, gesturing for her to enter my room. "And I don't mind you calling me Nya."

"Good. The Black Phoenix is kind of a mouthful anyway." She chuckled, stepping inside and observing the place.

"Eheh, sorry. I didn't really think about that when I chose the name." I motioned for her to sit in a chair at a desk in my room which she happily accepted. "The others have been calling me BP, for short.

"Definitely make things easier." She replied, nodding to herself. "Hm... this is a nice room they have set up for you. Heh, nicer than my apartment back in the city."

"Yeah, would've been nice to put up some pictures of the boys in here but I'm sure you can tell why I can't do that."

"Right." She nodded quietly, her gaze dropping on her lap. "What do you think about all this? The... Kunoichi, the missions, the meetings, the secret base."

Cutting right to the chase... that's so like her. I haven't known her for all that long but Skylor's really intelligent, serious, and blunt. It's hard to imagine her as being the daughter of that goofy Chen.

"Well," I began, "They kidnapped us, they're sort of holding us prisoner, and they won't exactly give us their motives for the things that they're doing so... I can't exactly say that they're... trustworthy."

"Trustworthy enough to go on missions with." She sighed, pushing today's earlier events back into my mind.

"Well, considering what the mission was for... I'd reluctantly agree."

"And the purpose of your mission with Free today was..."

"To return a ring to an old woman."

"Really?"

"Yeah, I was pretty shocked too. Apparently, the woman's late husband of thirty years had given it to her and... they went fishing one day, together, and it fell into the ocean. All she really wanted was to get it back and thankfully, Free and I were able to find it."

"Honestly, that's... very different from the Kidnapping Kunoichi we've seen so far."

"Yeah, I know." I sighed, thinking back to all the things I'd experienced with them, these past couple days. "But... they don't seem all that bad, at least not all the time."

"Right. So... what's your take on them?"

"Me? Well, uh... I should probably make a pros and cons list sooner or later." I sighed, shaking my head. "Sometimes I think... their name fits them. The Kunoichi, I mean. The Lady Ninjas. They seem a lot like the guys, sometimes, but... really different from them too."