Chapter 4 - The Loveseat

Chapter 4 – The Loveseat

Dreamer

After snapping out of my fleeting reverie, Sore Eyes' last comment registered and I huffed. He thought I had run away from them. He basically called me out. Yes, it was true, but it wasn't okay that he knew.

Did he also tell his friends? Did Teen Gaspard know?

No!!

I was just about to say it was cocky of him to assume I'd left because of them, but the giant had already turned to leave. I followed him with my eyes and watched him out the window as he climbed his motorcycle and left.

I scowled at my monitor. I turned off my computer and packed my things. I wasn't going to get anything done today. I felt frustrated. I usually got cranky when I was so pumped to write and things got in the way—homework, chores, family reunions, shallow cheerleaders, disapproving coffee servers.

Today, it wasn't any of those things.

I was annoyed because while Teen Gaspard's eyes were extraordinary, Sore Eyes did not have ugly mismatched eyes.

I was caught off guard by the giant's otherworldly eyes. They were dark green and luminous with specks of gold. They were enthralling. Unlike my own green pair that had a darker blue rim, gold edged his irises and his eyes seemed to glow.

I laughed at myself when I thought about how I was describing his eyes. It was impossible. It was unlikely for a human to have that eye color combination.

It was just as impossible as the rows of sharp teeth I thought I saw when he'd smiled.

I blamed the momentary vision on too much coffee and my hyperactive imagination, but I filed the image away for future use. Sore Eyes—or whatever it was I saw earlier—could be an inspiration for an interesting monstrosity.

I stretched my back and winced when my tailbone hit the hard seat. The giant was right. The chairs in the teahouse were uncomfortable.

**

I returned to Dawn's Diner earlier the following day. The place was still empty. I was planning to order pancakes and bacon then I could skip lunch, but remembering the judgment I went through yesterday, I considered getting something lighter.

Normally, I didn't care, but I wanted to start positive today. I ordered a tall macchiato and toasted bread instead and Dana—looks like she's on the first shift—didn't frown upon my choices this time.

I decided to sit at the back of the café where I hoped no one would see me. I stumbled upon the two-seater curved booth behind a low partition at the back when I was looking for the best spot earlier. There were no other customers when I got here so I got to survey the café and choose the best seat. No way was I hurting my tailbone again.

I got settled in the comfortable chair, pulling the small round metal table closer to me. I had a feeling couples used the couch as a loveseat during Friday night dates.

Ugh.

I couldn't think about that now. It was time to write. No distractions.

I wanted to camp there the entire morning and complete at least two chapters of my story. I also had to get my beast in print although after the past hours, I was thinking of making a few modifications. Perhaps the hue. Maybe gold would blend well.

I had just finished a chapter when I reached for my cup and realized it was empty. I was on a roll, but I needed something stronger. The words and images were whirling in my head. It was one of those days I wished there was an application I could use that would record all my random ideas and magically generate my story. I'd probably be on my second book by now and not just the second chapter.