Chapter 15 - Caramel Apology

Weaver

The youngest dream god knew he had befriended a mortal writer, but he had never expected to be pulled into a whimsical fabrication that clearly matched and perhaps even surpassed his own ingenuity.

He paused when he reached the tenth page and looked at the girl who was watching him even as she sipped her drink. She was sitting at the edge of her seat and if there was a combination of eagerness, anxiety and immeasurable creativity, he was staring at it now. Francis could literally hear Selene's heart pounding in her excitement to continue her work.

Such drive.

It made him envious.

But not an ounce of pride radiating from her.

It perplexed him.

He took the cup of brewed coffee away from her-she probably ordered another while he was busy reading. She was too excited as it was; excessive palpitation might lead to an atrial flutter or some other human malfunction.

Everything she wrote was fresh and unique, but by the time he got to the thirteenth page, he encountered the first description that he did not find novel. The grotesque, armored beast with the frothing skeletal head had been one of their father's favorite punishments for his most obtuse brother. It was a disgusting creature that even Icelus himself had not wanted to shape much less portray, but Selene had managed to make the monstrosity oddly charming.

Francis looked at Selene again and tried not to feel threatened. It was a weird feeling. He had thought among his brothers, he was the meekest. He was the most respectful of humans. He had wanted to blend in. He had wanted to think them equal.

Yet as he watched the unassuming girl in front of him, he thought that perhaps he was looking at a dream goddess who simply lost her memory. It was unquestionably impossible that a mere human could be this brilliant.

He laughed at the absurdity of that notion.

Selene had thought he was laughing at her work, but he immediately corrected this. She then asked him to promise not to tell anyone about her story. That was another thing that puzzled him. Any other being would be boasting or asking payment, but she wanted to keep her talent a secret.

And then there was that creature. He had a feeling Icelus might've been meddling. He wanted to confront his brother about it, but Selene had trusted him and he had agreed. For now.

Icelus might do something reckless and get them trapped in this plane forever.

Wanting to contemplate alone, Francis packed his things and told Selene he had to go ahead because he had soccer practice that morning.

**

Selene had been busy writing over two hours now. How I envy Francis and his practiced innocence. She trusted him. She trusted him enough to show him her story. I was certain it was the first time she took that jump. I bristled at that. Here I was sneaking in her dreams while my brother got a VIP seat to her world over a plate of pancakes.

Soon after Francis had left, Selene stood up and went to the restroom. I took this opportunity to leave my peace offering on her table. Then I stepped out of the café.

It was strange-this anxiety I felt over her possible response. I specifically bought that bag of chocolates because it was the exact scent that filled every curve and corner of her dream last night. The sugary fragrance from her dream followed me even when I woke up earlier.

I wondered if she would remember.

Father said I should not interfere in dreams, but maybe I could bend the rules a bit in wakefulness?

Olympus, what was I doing?? This was foolish.

I took out a huge bar of Hershey's milk chocolate. Sweets usually calmed me. I took one huge bite. And as timing went, Selene had just stepped out of the diner and cringed when she saw me gorge the chocolate bar.

She gave me a small nod and turned to leave.

Damn it. She didn't make the connection. Didn't she realize the chocolates were from me? I was eating the same kind for Zeus' sake!

Fine, I didn't leave any name and there were a couple of other people in the diner. And Francis had a tendency to leave her brownies. I knew. I caught him doing it since they started having breakfast together. Seeing him do that didn't draw out the best feeling. It didn't matter that he was just a child in this realm. That little put on act of generosity was conniving and annoying as hell. Francis never did anything without getting or expecting anything in return.

I continued berating myself from missing the chance to properly apologize when Selene turned back around and looked at me.

She stayed at her spot a few feet away from me. I removed my shades and tentatively approached her.

When I was standing right in front of her, I took a deep breath and gruffly told her, "I'm sorry for being an idiot. I'm sorry about your father."

Even though I personally knew Hades, death was a foreign concept that was difficult for an immortal like me to comprehend. But I understood a thing about fathers and how fathers were constants that children could run to when they needed help. I knew because had I not just recently swallowed my pride and asked for my father's help?

But Selene's father was taken from her too soon.

She looked at me a moment then said it was okay.

Just like that.

I was surprised. I had been all sorts of stupid, but Selene was quick to forgive me. Were all humans as tolerant? I knew my own mother wouldn't be as magnanimous.

I looked at her intently then asked, "Do you like caramel?"

Selene looked up at me and slowly smiled. "Just as much as I like dark chocolate."

Her smile was so similar to the one she gave me in her dream that it took my breath away. I was still gazing at her when she'd already waved her hand and ran to school. I was still gawking at the direction where she went and I had to rouse myself and again acknowledge how daft I was being. The status quo had vastly improved and I could've again offered her a ride to school-which she'd probably decline but still-but I was rooted to the spot.

I kept seeing the masterful dream weaver from last night. Coal and emeralds and caramel. I couldn't wait for tonight. I could sleep forever and watch her. I would gladly blend in the background as I basked in her formed terrors.

I shook my head. I had to get a grip. I was starting to sound like an infatuated poet. Shakespeare would laugh at me. Zeus knew I had not given him an easy time when he was alive-hence, all the tragic comedy.

I mounted my bike and headed to school as well, making sure I took a different route so I wouldn't run into Selene. I wasn't convinced I wouldn't make a fool myself again so soon.