Chapter 7 - A Pillion

Chapter 7 – A Pillion

Weaver

I resumed my old routine that weekend. I stayed in bed, trying to find my way to the dream world, until my grumbling gut forced me to leave my room and get some food. I didn't go to Dawn's Diner like I had the past days and instead went to get my usual—Nai Cha tea and peppermint mocha waffles.

I glanced at the corner of the tea shop, telling myself that I wasn't hoping to see a certain girl with long, dark hair and deep green eyes. There was a Chinese couple sitting at the spot Selene had occupied a few weeks ago.

I wanted to skip school come Monday, but an annoying god in teen form woke me up. I should've expected Francis to bother me for breakfast since Markus had moved to his dorm at Hephaestus University the night before.

"Good morning, sunshine! It's time for breakfast," Francis said cheerfully as he raised the blinds, allowing the sunlight to flood my unnaturally gloomy room.

I covered my head with a pillow to block the sun. "Why can't you have breakfast here?"

"We don't have food here. Let's go. This growing kid needs food," Francis replied as he pulled open a drawer and threw a shirt at me.

"Ugh, why did you have to be a human child? You're more annoying," I muttered, my voice muffled under the pillow.

"You mean I'm more adorable," Francis chirped.

"Markus took the car. My bike doesn't have room for a pillion," I grumbled.

"A what?"

"A seat for a passenger."

"What are you talking about? That's a huge bike. It's bigger than my bed."

Francis saw my textbooks cluttered on one table. He stuffed them in a backpack and dropped them on me, the pile landing heavily on my chest. I bared my incisors at Francis, but the annoying little man was unperturbed. Hunger made him fearless. And stupid.

He shouldn't pester a frustrated, sleepless god.

"Come on! I'm starving and I still have an assignment to finish and I can't think when I'm hungry," Francis whined.

"Fine," I groused as I grudgingly got out of bed and wore my shirt. I pulled on a pair of jeans, shove on my shoes and grabbed my shades and backpack. "Just don't put your hands around my middle."

"What am I supposed to hold on to?" Francis asked. He'd never ridden on the Duke before.

I smirked at him and answered, "Your teeth."

I was still grumbling when I parked in front of Dawn's Diner. Francis had immediately jumped off the bike and ran ahead inside the diner. The kid's growling belly competed with the bike's engine as we rode to the café.

I rubbed my hand across my face. I wanted to return to bed and sleep. I felt I was getting somewhere. Ever since I'd been born in this realm, I'd only seen darkness whenever I'd closed my eyes. Only a vast nothingness had welcomed me when I slept.

But last night, it seemed I was passing through an endless dark tunnel. It was still obscure and boundless, but it was a welcome development compared to the oblivion I'd endured for sixteen years.

I wondered what triggered the progress and I was eager to resume the tour. Since I was wearing my shades, I considered getting a mug of warm milk and taking a nap at a corner. I dared anyone to make fun of my drink of choice.

Yes, I was going to drink milk and slouch at a corner and sleep. Francis can find his way to school after breakfast. I was skipping school today.

That was the plan.

I did not expect to see Selene sitting at the booth behind the wall where I was hoping to slumber. Her hair was still tied in a messy ponytail, but she wasn't wearing her glasses. Her eyes looked more luminous without the frame. She had earphones plugged in while she was writing on her notepad. She was busy taking down notes from an open textbook that had several lines highlighted.

I then remembered that we had periodic assessments that week. I had to read the books because man's interpretation was often times different from what truly occurred. I had stopped telling the real version after an incident in fifth grade when I almost got expelled for arguing with a senile history teacher.

I still didn't appreciate how the books had a watered down account of actual events.

"Hey, Ice," Francis said as he passed by me and made a beeline for Selene's table. The girl was initially startled, but when she saw the kid, she smiled and gestured for him to take a seat.

Her smile. Her eyes.

I snapped out of my momentary surprise and ordered coffee, forgetting that I didn't like the bitter drink. I sat on the other side of the diner, not behind her booth, but made sure I could see her reflection on the glass window. I kept my distance partly because I hadn't brushed my teeth, but mainly because I'd overthought what I'd say to her last week and it was so many days overdue and I might say something stupid again.

But I was happy she was back. I ditched the plan to sleep the moment I saw her. I removed my shades and took out a textbook instead and pretended to study.

I sent Olympus my thanks that Markus would be busy at the university for the rest of the month.