Chapter 26 - Powder Blue

Chapter 26 – Powder Blue

Weaver

Francis wouldn't say why he forced me to purchase a tailored suit and trousers. Before my sessions with Freud and Thanatos, I'd probably have dug my heels in and stayed at home. But I considered myself more mature and considerate now and I decided to humor my younger sibling. I had been an absentee brother the past decade and I wanted to make it up to him.

Anyway, I'd finished the movie and there was nothing to do at home. I could continue sketching, but I wasn't feeling inspired.

Sacrilege!

But now that I found myself nearly gagging in a fitted powder blue dress shirt—Francis wouldn't let me get the black shirt; he said I should add some color to my wardrobe—matched with the grey suit and pants and the brown patent leather shoes, I realized I had a ton of things I needed to take care of now that I was back.

"Francis, I forgot I have to get in touch with..." I began.

"Don't even," Francis replied. "You can call your imaginary contact when we get home. We'll be done soon."

I scowled. And when I saw Francis about to get an unreasonably priced bow tie for me, I grabbed him by the collar and dragged him to the counter.

Not before he was able to seize a navy blue tie instead.

I grudgingly paid for the items I was not sure I'd be wearing again after tomorrow, dropped off Francis at home and decided to drive around the village for a while.

I idly drove around, seemingly aimless, but I knew where I was headed. Nothing much had changed. I was pleasantly surprised that both Dawn's Diner and Big Plate were still standing. I was pleased that the café now offered a variety of tea. I ordered a chocolate mint tea and sipped it as I continued circling the streets. Red Oven was also still flourishing and I bought three boxes of cheesecake. I knew an adorable angel who loved cheesecake. I grinned.

By dusk, I found myself in front of the Fishers' house, but a different family occupied the place.

I looked at the luxury sedan parked in the open garage, the flagstone walkway decking the front yard and the faces of strangers through the window.

I stared at the boxes of cake on my passenger seat.

The giddy feeling that had encased me the past half hour was quelled by a range of adverse feelings I had learned to control the past years. I was surprised. In denial. It was possible the Fishers were just on holiday and these were their relatives house sitting. I was upset. What was I going to do with all this cake now? I closed my eyes. If I promised to wear a tie tomorrow, could I open my eyes to the possibility that the Fishers just moved to a more comfortable place next door?

Zeus! Was I going through the stages of death?! Had I not spent a period with Thanatos, I would not have been aware.

I laughed bitterly to myself.

I was disappointed. Why had Francis not told me that Selene and her family had moved?

I had never asked.

It made sense though. Selene had moved to study in a different state years ago. Perhaps her mother and sisters had followed her.

I wondered how she was. What had she pursued? Was she taking care of herself? Was she happy? She had been so selfless.

Did she remember me? After so many years, I had learned to control my emotions yet when it came to her, I felt selfish.

Perhaps it was time to access her tunnel. Did I deserve to?

**

A/N: As much as Ice had been an absentee brother, I know I'd been an absentee writer. I really, really want get back to writing for you guys who've inspired me to do what I love best :-)

I know this is a short chapter, but I'll find the time to write more the coming weeks. I still hope you enjoy this short part along with Robyn's song. It's a sad song, but it makes me smile :-) Have a great week ahead!