Chapter 39 - When We Wake

Chapter 39 – When We Wake

Weaver

I woke up in my cave. I felt the weight of my wings on my shoulders and the delicious warmth and softness of Selene in my arms. I gazed at her. Her eyes were still closed and I didn't want to move and wake her. I was content to gaze at her and let her sweet scent fill the emptiness that had lurked in the darkness for so long.

But the clock was ticking. Mother was waiting for my answer and she was not the most patient of gods.

But Zeus, how should I go about this?? Should I reintroduce myself? Icelus. Deity. 3,027 years old. That sounded ridiculous even in my head.

Perhaps I should begin with something easier to process. I had heard her from the other side. She was distressed when she'd thought I'd imbibed enough liquor to kill a man. I was not happy with Francis' methods. I had not wanted to upset Selene. But to hear her extremely concerned—to know that she cared was enough for me to forgive Francis for his injudicious ploy.

How would Markus do this? Hi, moon goddess. Good news: I'm not a dipsomaniac. Better news: I'm a god. Best news: I'm yours.

I cringed. I doubted I'd be able to pull that off without retching in my mouth.

Selene shivered. The draft from one of the tunnels was extraordinarily chilly. My shadows had been eager to torment a dreaming senator—their favorite—the moment we returned to this realm. It appeared they were also attempting to impress Selene. She huddled closer to me and my wings instinctively enveloped her to keep her warm.

Pellets of frozen rain hit my back followed by a man's agonized scream. The blasted exhibitionists were overdoing it and I worried their victim might never wake. I turned my head toward the particular tunnel and growled, "Enough."

The hail stopped though it remained frigid in the room. It was fortunate that I could keep Selene safe and snug and...

Wide awake.

Big forest green eyes were staring at me.

"Ice? Had I passed out while kissing you?" she asked, red spots coloring her cheeks.

She was yet to take account of her surroundings. I, however, could no longer procrastinate. The clock was ticking. I gently released Selene from my embrace, pulling my arms and wings from around her. I stood from the bed, and with my eyes on hers, I took a deep breath and stretched out my leathery wings.

Selene's eyes grew wide as she scrambled to her knees and whispered, "Am I dreaming? Is this not real?"

"Yes, you are dreaming. But no, this is real." I reached out a hand toward her and said, "Let's take a walk, Selene."

Slowly but not hesitantly, she took my hand. She looked around her as she stood in front of me. Then her fingers lightly traced the edges of my wing. I trembled in pleasure. Her touch was pure bliss. I wanted to drag her back to my bed, but there were things to discuss and a decision to take.

Selene looked into my eyes and smiled. "This was how I'd always pictured you."

Was it possible for her to accept everything so easily? Or did she simply believe this were a dream? Unerringly, it was her dream and my reality.

One step at a time.

We entered one of the warmer tunnels that had a recognizable gargoyle by the entrance and stepped out into her glade. The little cyclones welcomed their mistress and a flying rodent landed on my shoulder.

Selene grinned at me. She was home. And her home was in my world. As that thought crossed my mind, I pondered if it were possible.

She pulled at my hand and similar to a child rousing early on Christmas morning, she showed me the wonders of her universe. I laughed and indulged her as I'd always envisaged doing. It felt wonderful to finally explore her world openly and not spy while hiding in the undergrowth.