Chapter 19 - Cognac Swing

Chapter 19 – Cognac Swing

Dreamer

Two Saturdays before the senior prom, Markus showed up for lunch carrying a box. He said it was a graduation gift, but I should open it when I got home.

It was a miracle I managed to mumble my thanks and finish my food throughout lunch. I had to stop myself from shaking my head and slapping my face to make sure I wasn't dreaming. I did have a huge red mark on my arm though because I'd pinched myself hard.

Yep, I was definitely awake and Teen Gaspard gave me an early graduation gift.

I got home, ran upstairs to my room and carefully opened the package. I realized it was a shoebox, but who knew what Markus had placed inside it. Perhaps it was one of his drawings. Or maybe a photo album with his pictures. Or the shirt he was wearing the first time we met.

I opened the box and saw a pair of glittery platform pumps. It had rhinestone embellishments and a strappy caged ankle cuff. It had a round peep toe and a five-inch stiletto. It was chic and glamorous.

Exactly how I hoped to look next to Markus come prom night.

I just needed to learn how to walk in these sky-high heels without falling on my face.

I practiced walking in them every day after school. So far, I was able to stop my knees from buckling and my legs from shaking. Maya was very helpful and even told me to try walking in them while holding a mug of chocolate milk. I saw her point when I spilled half the mug on my shirt the first time I tried.

After a week, I could walk a straight line gracefully. Mom suggested I stand close to a table or a wall at all times. Maya suggested that I should just hold on to Markus that entire night.

I preferred that option.

I was sure a lot of other girls would vie for his attention. If anyone attempted to steal my table/wall/date from me, I would happily step on their foot with these killer stilettos.

I'd given up going down the stairs in heels. I'd just wear them when I was on level ground.

It was the day of the ball and everyone at home was excited to get me ready. Even Yvonne gave me a checklist of things to do. She printed me an article that tackled how to get glowing skin, hydrate my hair and whiten my smile. She also nagged me to pluck my eyebrows and to use a good deodorant. The last one was easy, but I wasn't really sure how to go about the first items in her list.

I showed Mom Yvonne's list and she nodded her head as she read the tasks.

I handed Mom the perming iron. The last time I had tried to curl my hair, I'd singed myself and damaged a section of my hair. It was the first time I considered getting a pixie cut. Yvonne convinced me to get my hair layered instead. It worked. I guessed.

Iris giggled and pointed at the mirror. I looked up and saw Mom had given me volume and waves. Whoa! While I was busy mulling over a self-inflicted disaster, Mom had blow dried, texturized, curled and styled my hair. Gone were my limp, lifeless strands. I had big, bouncy curls tumbling to my shoulders.

"Mom, you're a magician! A wizard even!" I exclaimed.

"Or a witch," Mom grinned at me. I was amazed.

"I'm not yet done. Time for makeup," Mom said. She smiled for a second then looked serious again as she checked her makeup palette. I wouldn't know what to do with all those shades. I could count with one hand how many times I'd worn makeup.

She swiveled my chair so I was facing her. I would see my reflection when Mom was done.

Iris and Maya were clapping their hands after thirty minutes. I didn't wait for Mom to spin my chair. I stood up and excitedly, and a bit nervously, looked at the mirror.