Chapter 36 - Between Scylla and Charybdis (Part I)

Chapter 36 – Between Scylla and Charybdis (Part I)

Weaver

Selene did not turn around and I thought perhaps she had not heard me. She was still gazing at the fruit-bearing tree. I didn't want to startle her so I called out her name again even as I walked toward her.

The tree kept her attention. I was not pleased with the inanimate competition although I had learned that nothing in Selene's dreams was lifeless. I squinted at the tree and gathered that the fruits were not crops, but wingless bats that clung inversely to the leafless branches. Two of them with beady eyes glared at me as if I had wronged them.

They looked rather familiar.

And now that I was but a step away from the woman, I realized that she did not resemble Selene. The woman before me appeared frailer though she stood with recognizable haughtiness.

"What have you done, child?" my mother chided as she spun around to frown upon me.

I did not respond as I gritted my teeth in annoyance. I should've expected this.

Nyx clucked her tongue and gestured to the dangling rodents. "You've ruined them. I thought you'd empathize with the pathetic little beasts because they are... like you."

"You thought wrong," I growled at my mother, but dared not look at her. I was furious and I knew my shadows were going to torch the surrounding area if I glimpsed even a hint of smugness on my mother's face. She knew to play at my weaknesses and I didn't want to give her the satisfaction of my control snapping.

But Nyx knew how to provoke me. She glided toward me and circled me.

"Do gods have souls, you asked. Why would divinity desire a soul?" Nyx scoffed.

I glowered at Nyx. I did not bother answering because I doubted she would understand.

Unlike Selene's tunic which moved with vivacity with the earth, the hem of Nyx's gown left a trail of wilted weeds. She walked around me twice and I imagined the scent of burnt wildflowers. Then she stopped in front of me and tipped my chin up with a bony finger, forcing me to look at her.

"Over three thousand years old and you remain ignorant. Over two decades in the mortal realm and still you haven't learned your lesson," she hissed.

I abruptly reeled back, Nyx's sharp nail scraping my skin.

"What is the lesson, Mother? What am I to learn?" I snapped at her. "I have learned to control my emotions. I have learned humility. What else do you want from me?"

"Humility?" Nyx bit back. "Perhaps obstinacy. Your father had warned you, but you did not listen."

"I am not a child. Despite this sentence you've given me, I am still a god and I have the right to choose what I wish to do. And I wish to tell Selene the truth. She deserves to know. I cannot bear lying to her. It is a wonder that she trusts me even though I had deserted her the last time."

Before Nyx could respond, I stressed, "She sees me, Mother! Why could you not perceive that?"

Nyx was silent for a moment, seemingly paler though I knew not how that was possible. Then she shook her head, clucked her tongue again and said, "You give the mortals too much thought. You give yourself too much credit. You may be a god, but you are also a slave to your responsibilities. We cannot do things simply because we want to."

I wanted to roar and gnash my teeth. All these restrictions were infuriating.

"Tartarus, enough with these ludicrous precepts! What do you want?" I looked at Nyx squarely in the eye and bitterly said, "You always relished punishing me, Mother. I am the god of nightmares, but you are pure cruelty."

"Icelus, hush!" my father thundered as his heavy frame emerged from the shadows. How long had he been standing there, listening to this wearisome exchange with Nyx?

I ignored Erebus and just glared at his queen.

Nyx blinked several times. She never did before. I wagered she was not accustomed to her middle child lashing back at her. But I could no longer tolerate the games she played.

I will be with Selene.

Nyx took a step back, but evaded the hand that Erebus attempted to place on her shoulder. She would not accept any comfort. She would not show any sign of weakness. Especially not in front of me, her least favored offspring.

Nyx stood straighter and addressed me with her distinctive air of superiority, "Contrary to your thoughts, I have given you more options than any considerate parent would."

What nonsense was she talking about?

"Pay attention, Icelus. You get your wish. You get to choose. You can be with your mortal in her world or you can reveal your true self and stay in your realm."

I was confused. Neither option seemed dreadful.

But Mother wasn't done.

"You have placed us in great risk by nearly exposing our existence to the mortal. So choose. If you decide to be with her in her world, you will be completely stripped of your powers. You will become mortal."

"Nyx, do not do this," Erebus interceded.

"Silence!" Nyx screeched at Erebus before facing me once more. "You are weak. I advise you to keep your powers or you will have an awfully brief life with the girl. You would not last another decade in the earthly realm. And when you die your mortal death, you will face your deific end—you will cease to exist. Eternal darkness awaits you should you opt for this foolishness."

My fingers itched to wrap around Nyx's neck to stop her from saying more. My shadows appeared and slowly inched toward her, eager to obey my command.

Nyx scowled at my shadows, halting them where they crawled. Then she looked at me and continued, "Should you decide to keep your gifts, then you will completely disappear from the mortal realm. Your penance will continue, but in our world. You may attempt to reach the girl through her... nightmares."

I processed Mother's suggestion. There was a loophole. I queried, "Would that not be dubious? What would people make of the twenty odd years I've spent on earth?"

"Everyone will be divested of their memory of you," Nyx countered indifferently. "Selene would never have known you as a man. But she has the opportunity to know you as the monster that you truly are."

What appalling alternatives! I felt like I was caught between Scylla and Charybdis.

"You are ruthless," I gritted out. "It would've been better if you denied me of these accursed choices."

"Do not tempt me," Nyx stated simply.

I saw red, but I felt helpless. Incensed but powerless. Even my shadows stayed immobile on the ground a few feet beside Nyx, the divinity of damnation.

Despite my initial claim, I could not choose. More enraged than I ever recalled myself being, I stormed out.

**

A/N: *hides behind a mountain of coffee beans* 

Please don't hate Nyx (or the writer) too much.