Chapter 30 - Not an Italian Lake

Chapter 30 – Not an Italian Lake

Weaver

She looked exactly as she had that night at the park. In her world. Then my world. At the theme park. At the beach. At the banquet. That night when Father had allowed me to weave the sweetest nightmare to ease the bitterness that had nearly consumed her that time.

Who was I fooling? That bitterness had consumed me and I had faced the consequences the years that followed.

I was grateful that Erebus had given me a brief reprieve that night and permitted me entry to my tunnels. It was a gift from my father. It was my parting gift to Selene.

And here she was every bit as exquisite as she had been that night in my dreams.

She had smiled when she first saw me.

But now she was frowning.

She touched the arm of the man who'd helped her off her seat. She was wearing a black open back dress and I stiffened at the thought of another man touching her skin. His hand had been on her back—rather low to be considered appropriate, but she grasped his elbow, obliging him to move his hand from behind her to his side.

Good. I would've ignored a shadow swooping down to bite off his hand.

They were walking toward me. She placed a smile back on her face, but instead of the immediate joy I saw earlier, she now looked a tad nonplussed. She had an awkward smile like the one she wore over a decade ago when she was still figuring us out—wondering why my brothers and I had wanted to get to know her. That first encounter when she had been wary and vulnerable.

She seemed surprised, but she didn't look wary and vulnerable now. And with every step closer, she seemed to gain more confidence. While mine seemed to falter. I couldn't breathe in anticipation.

And then she was standing in front of me.

Still as petite as I'd remembered. Not that I'd ever forgotten.

I stared at her eyes. Her forest green eyes. How I longed to visit her realm.

"Hello, Ice," she said.

I just gazed at her. Till someone jabbed my side and I grunted, unable to utter words.

"Still as verbose as ever," Markus remarked. I had forgotten he was standing next to me. Along with Vivienne and the man whose hand I'd wanted to feed to my shadows.

A group slowly formed around us. Introductions were made. Writers. Editors. Producers. Some other lawyer aside from Markus and his date. A publisher. A director. A CEO. A consultant. Artists. Some fancy titles. Apparently, I was invited to a formal dinner for a publications or production committee.

I barely processed anything. I could not stop staring at Selene. She stood there nodding her head and giving short responses and close-mouthed smiles. She looked lovely in her long, black dress with its beaded sleeves and its keyhole cut out. Somebody barely grew an inch, but she blossomed elsewhere. That smooth skin peeking through triggered wicked designs best shared at night. The light in the room dimmed and Markus nudged me again and glowered at me.

I reeled my pets back. Behave.

I felt them resist. They had not experienced temptation this strong in years. Their creativity had been restrained too long. I closed my eyes.

Tonight, beasts.

My promise calmed them. I'd let them run loose in the tunnels later. They could go and terrify some unscrupulous, self-serving politicians.