Chapter 42 - To be Mortal

Chapter 42 – To be Mortal

Weaver

I had time to kill before I head to the gallery. Scratch that. I was now mortal. Every second mattered. Mother had cautioned me that my earthly stay would be fleeting. If only I could be with Selene every single moment.

My brothers were watching the news in the living room while I stood unnoticed in the doorway. I had never paid heed to current events, but now I found myself transfixed. War, diseases, accidents, grave crimes—all led to death. Others succumbed to depression and took their own lives. Life was a concept I had taken for granted as a god, but now I understood.

How weak and vulnerable we mortals were.

The thought left me feeling cold. Had I made the right choice to shackle myself with these temporal limitations? My heart thudded. I had never feared for my own life before. I had never imagined facing death with a measure of apprehension.

I closed my eyes and I saw her. For her, I would face anything.

And it would be fascinating to see Thanatos' reaction when he realized he could no longer sever my limbs without killing me. Except that I would be truly deceased the next time we met and his only role would be to lead me to the infinite hole of oblivion where I would cease to exist.

No biggie.

When the news coverage ended, Francis changed the channel to a show on animal cruelty. The documentary opened with grim images from dehorning deer to castrating cattle—all acts executed without mercy. When the reporter began discussing cultural rituals to excuse the violent practice, Markus stood up and switched off the television.

"I could literally see the wheels turning in your head, Francis."

"Come on, Markus. I'm not suggesting we don masks and be vigilantes. I am just saying there is a link between animal cruelty and violence toward humans," Francis explained excitedly. I assumed this was not the first time my brothers had this debate.

"No."

"But we've been here ages and we haven't done anything worthwhile. We could tap into their dreams and..."

"Have you forgotten the reason we were banished here? We are not staying here another mortal lifetime," Markus retorted with exasperation.

"Oh, stop pretending you don't like it here," Francis replied as he turned on the screen again.

Markus snatched the clicker from his brother and switched the channel to a fashion show featuring skimpily clad women. "Yes, but not to deal with idiots."

Francis grumbled, but instead of continuing to argue with his brother, he grabbed a pack of chips, settled back in the couch and decided to enjoy watching the lavish event of women in costumed lingerie.

The statuesque models were attractive, but they paled next to my muse. The thought that I'd have her in my arms in a while left me giddy. I headed for the door, a smile on my face. I couldn't hide my eagerness even if I tried.

"Talking about idiots, where are you going?" Markus asked.

Unable to stop grinning, I answered, "To see Selene."

"Have you told her?"

My smile wavered. "Yes."

"Everything?"

My smile disappeared and I stepped out of the house.

**

I looked at my hands. They were smudged with charcoal. Inspiration struck me the minute I stepped in the gallery. My clock had begun ticking. My time was limited. But I would not allow my imagination to be restrained by fear. Even when my existence had been swallowed by the void, I wanted Selene to remember how much I loved her.