Chapter 28 - Elysium

Weaver

Francis still wouldn't tell me where we were headed tonight, but I chose not to pester him. After yesterday's bitter disappointment, I didn't mind where my little brother dragged me-even though I found my current attire prickly.

Fine. I was willing to admit I was pleased when I saw my reflection earlier, but the staid ensemble wasn't a look I intended to tolerate even occasionally. Urban chic was something I was inclined to consider. Markus would approve. Not that I was concerned.

I digressed.

I needed a diversion before the emptiness I'd felt yesterday consumed me. I was not going to move again. I had to get back on track and show the gods I deserved to have my wings. I had learned to control my emotions and my shadows. I was ready to participate and learn.

If only Mother could send the course outline so I had an idea what it was she wanted me to learn!!

Tartarus! I didn't mean for that sliver of gloom to peek out of the car's hood. I hoped Francis hadn't noticed it.

I glanced at Francis who was giving me directions to our destination. I knew he was successful at what he did although this would be the first time I'd personally observe his progress in the mortal realm. Seeing how classy he looked-he followed the black tie dress code perfectly-I'd assumed we were meeting one of his wealthier clients. I would support him. And learn.

I didn't expect the meeting to be at the nearest bookstore.

"Keep the car running," Francis told me. "I just need to grab something."

He went in the shop and was back in less than two minutes. He gave me a copy of the first book of Team Genesis.

"I already have a copy," I told Francis as we drove from the bookshop.

"I know. You left your dog eared paperback at home. We'll get this new one signed by L. Guinto Lochan."

I frowned at the mention of the author's name then laughed. "Sure, Francis. Will we get to interview Mr. Lochan, too?"

My brother grinned at me and replied, "Why not?"

Francis told me the address of our next stop and I was mildly surprised when we found ourselves in front of Elysian Fields.

The Fields was an exclusive luxury cocktail bar. I had been to a handful of these places over the past decade, but I hadn't found them interesting. I had only set foot in them because Thanatos bid me to accompany him and on more than one occasion, we'd witnessed a poor soul headed toward a peaceful demise.

Coincidentally, this site, based on its name, would probably be a mockup of heaven.

"I'll park the car. You go ahead inside and I'll look for you," Francis told me as he stepped out and headed to my side.

"No valet service? That's odd," I said, but handed him the keys. If he were offering, I didn't mind evading the inconvenience of finding parking space in this city. It was easier when I had my muscle bike.

Francis got in then handed me the book.

Puzzled, I asked, "What am I going to do with this? Is it going to be a lengthy business meeting and this is to be my company?"

"Just take it. You might want it signed," Francis quickly answered before he slammed the door shut and drove away, nearly running over my foot.

What was Francis going on about? Did Lochan frequent this place?