Chapter 23 - MIA on Grad Day

Dreamer

Monday. Still no Ice.

I had breakfast with Francis at the café, but his brother wasn't there.

He wasn't there the day after as well. Or the next. He also hadn't replied to my messages although Francis told me he'd told Ice I'd said thank you.

"And?" I asked.

"And what?" Francis asked back.

"What did he say?" I said, trying to look nonchalant.

"Nothing," Francis replied simply as he finished his breakfast. I ground my teeth. What was going on? I didn't want to ask more questions and appear the needy... friend. I stood up and headed to class instead.

We didn't mention Ice the following weeks. I skipped Saturday lunches as well. I had to sort out a lot of things at home during weekends. I had also started packing. I wanted to spend as much time as I could with my family. I was going to miss them. Our finances were tight and I wouldn't have the luxury to travel home often.

It was the last day of school and I pretended not to care that Ice didn't have breakfast at the café anymore. I noticed though that Francis had not only grown taller, but he also seemed fitter-toned-the past three weeks. I mentioned this.

"Really? I guess all that jogging to get here helped. I start sprinting when my gut starts grumbling," Francis explained.

He might just have given me the opening I needed.

"Didn't Ice use to give you a ride to get here?" I probed.

"Not anymore. He said I needed to burn the calories. I'm guessing he's just envious I have an awesome metabolism."

Not exactly the response that would've led to the answers I needed. I inwardly sighed.

I tried focusing on writing my story while Francis was busy sketching, but it was the last day of school and I hadn't seen Ice for weeks. He'd gone all ninja mode.

"Is Ice still going to school?" I inquired.

Francis looked up from his sketchbook. "Of course."

"Why has he been skipping breakfast? Is he avoiding me?" I didn't mean to sound like I was pining for his company.

Francis stared at me a moment then answered, "No. Why would you think that? He's just busy with a project. Deadline's today."

Oh. I didn't realize some teachers still assigned projects days before the graduation. I guessed I would just see him during the ceremony.

I shrugged my shoulders in response and looked at my netbook.

I should get back to writing my story. My dreams had been bare lately. The cyclones were still there and my universe continued to take shape with all sorts of scenes and characters, but I couldn't feel the presence I'd felt before. My favorite beasts were missing.

Sure, they were hiding before, but I knew one or the other was always there. They had given me confidence. Like training wheels.

I'd lost my training wheels. I could now pedal without falling, but how I missed them.

**

It was the day of the graduation and I received my diploma. The valedictorian had given his speech. Caps had been thrown. Friends hugged each other and shared plans. Parents took pictures of their children. Mothers dabbed tears. Younger siblings asked where they'd be celebrating. People were happy and excited. Some were relieved to have finished high school. Others were eager to start college. A few considered joining the family business. While a handful got engaged so they could take the next step together.

For me, the feeling was rather anticlimactic.

Where was Ice? I didn't see him get up the stage.

"Congratulations, Selene! I'm so proud of you!" My mom snapped a shot then Francis showed up and offered to take a photo of me and my family.

"Thanks, Francis!" Maya gave him a flirty smile she recently perfected. Francis frowned at her and stared at me. I grinned at Francis. I had a feeling Maya might be a handful one day.

"Congratulations, moon goddess," said a familiar voice. I turned around and saw Markus. He handed me a box.

"Thank you! You shouldn't have," I said.

"Open it!" Francis said excitedly. "It's from the three of us."

The three of you? I was only seeing two.

I unwrapped my present. They'd given me a watch. The face of the watch was black, but there were four crescent moons to represent the quarter hours. The hands of the watch were silver fountain pens.

"It's beautiful! Thank you, Francis! Markus!" I hugged them both tightly.

I was still hoping to see the giant even though he didn't make an appearance when his name was called earlier.

"Where's Ice?" I asked for possibly the hundredth time the past weeks. "And don't tell me he's finishing a project. He graduated today even though he missed the event."

"He's... sick," Francis answered.

"Is he really sick or is he just avoiding me? Did I do anything stupid that night?" I questioned. I had to know. I knew I wasn't special enough to skip graduation for and maybe it was presumptuous of me to think so, but I was leaving for college soon and I still hadn't properly thanked Ice.

"He's really sick," Francis insisted. "He's got measles and chicken pox and a viral infection."

"What? That's terrible," I said, immediately concerned. What an awful time to have caught a bug. "I'll drop by later. Do you think he'd like some chicken soup?"

"No!" Francis exclaimed. I raised an eyebrow. "I mean don't. He's in isolation. He's highly contagious."

"That's okay. I've had measles and chicken pox when I was younger. I also got a flu vaccine. I'm sure I'll be fine. You're exposed to him every day and you're pretty healthy," I insisted.

"Uh... but that's because we're related. The doctor said something about an increased immunity to the virus if you're siblings. On the other hand, the combination of all these illnesses formed a different strain that can be extremely infectious."

Francis was rambling. Ice might've told him he didn't want to see me.

Well, fine. I didn't understand why he was acting all weird, but I wasn't going to pester him. It was time to focus on the future. I'd just send him a postcard next Christmas.

I hugged Francis again. I was going to miss him. He was the little-turned-big brother I never had. "Well, I guess this is it. I'll be moving soon."

"This is not it, Selene. I'll see you online. Did you open an account in all the sites I told you?" Francis inquired.

I laughed. "Two out of the twenty you gave me."

"That's good enough for now. Keep me posted, okay? Send me every new chapter you've finished."

Francis was one of the reasons I kept on writing. The kid motivated me. I smiled at him and hugged him tighter.

"I will."

Markus was a couple of meters away from us. He was congratulating Yvonne, but she didn't look too happy. Markus handed Brian his phone and asked him to take a picture of him with my best friend. The fresh grad couldn't manage to say no to the towering model.

Markus looked at the picture and chuckled. Yvonne was scowling in the photo while he had beamed that glorious smile of his. He pocketed his phone, tugged Yvonne's hair before he made his way back to us.

Markus took the watch from the box I still held. He strapped their gift around my wrist then kissed my forehead and told me, "Take care of yourself, Selene. We'll see you soon."