Chapter 22 - Post Prom

Dreamer

I was having the most wonderful dream. An obscure beast was cradling me, keeping me warm in the embrace of his huge, leathery wings. He placed me in the middle of a glittery field then he vanished.

In his wake materialized Mr. Nguyen's dogs except that they looked amusingly bizarre. The big ones had single spikes on their foreheads and the small ones were fluttering about with their colorful butterfly wings.

I dropped to my knees and played with the dogs.

Then the world shifted and I was cloaked in black dust. I touched the particles floating around me. The dark powder was so fine and cold and it slithered around me, tickling me as it grazed my skin. It covered me from head to foot, but it did not feel confining. In fact, it felt comforting.

It was a strange feeling. The dust seemed to be siphoning the sadness from my soul. And I felt lighter than I had in years.

Then the residue fell to the ground and I was out in the clearing again. The dogs had been whimpering but were now wagging their tails when they saw me. One of them tugged my long gown.

Long gown?

A waterfall appeared next to me and I gasped when I saw what I was wearing.

I didn't conjure this. My likely choices were my usual shirt-and-jeans outfit, my dream tunic or the sequin dress from Markus. But I didn't form the gorgeous ensemble I now wore.

My reflection resembled a gothic Greek goddess if I may say so myself. I likey!

The scene changed and I was at a theme park in an empty line to the most amazing rollercoaster ride. I didn't hesitate. I hopped in, screamed, laughed, raised my arms and imagined I could reach the stars as the car looped around and crested.

I stepped off the rollercoaster and found myself at an incredible beach with the finest white sand. There were coconut trees shading lounge chairs. There were shells in all shapes, sizes and colors. I was eager to jump in the water when I remembered what I was wearing. No way.

I closed my eyes and conceived a swimsuit version of my gown.

Then I had the time of my life. How I wished I could bring my sisters to this world.

Soon.

I stepped out of the water and found myself inside a large room. I was once again wearing the black gown. I could hear one of my favorite songs softly playing in the background. The delectable scent of my favorite dishes wafted in the air.

A ballroom. A banquet. Gold and precious stones. Unicorns trotting elegantly. Griffins standing guard. Fiery dragons keeping the food warm.

A talking white dragon that held my interest for a few minutes.

Who was forming all these? These visions did not come from my imagination.

Then I saw him walking toward me. I knew there was something special about this kid.

"Francis! You're here!"

But just as I was about to run to him, he disappeared. Damn it!

This was my dream yet I knew someone else was directing it. I was surrounded by flowers. Jewels. I didn't want any of these.

Centaurs with cheesecake. Pixies with chocolates. I may have drooled a bit. The treats almost worked.

I shook my head to rouse myself and continued my search. This wasn't the first time I felt another presence in my dreams.