Chapter 33 - Beholden

Weaver

Enough, child!

My father's voice thundered in my head and it took everything I had to stop myself from unfolding my wings and revealing my true self to Selene.

But a moment ago, I had thrown all caution to the wind.

It was not a completely reckless decision. With all the signs I'd witnessed tonight, I had thought the Moirai were spinning and dictating my fate. Who was I to deny the daughters of destiny when even the gods submitted to them?

The first omen was Selene seeing my shadows in the alley. They should not have been visible to mortal sight if I did not wish them to be. And I hadn't. I hadn't wanted to frighten Selene.

The second one was the clay figurine. Granted that I'd handed it to Selene, but how had she known what I'd felt when I'd molded that piece? I had been only thirteen and immensely resentful. I had detested how my parents had stripped me of my gifts and confined me in this sphere.

And then the last one. I had only wanted to show her a replica of her dreams. I had not expected the setting to move. I had not anticipated for the floor to dissolve into a billion grains of black sand or for the woods of the painted forest to grow alive. And for a few seconds, Selene was not in my gallery-I was in her dream. I had felt it when my winged form pulled me toward it and I had welcomed the prospect of fusing with the best version of myself.

And yes, expose myself to Selene.

Selene was a seer. My brothers and I had discussed it before. I knew I had to be careful. It was forbidden for humans to find out we existed. Nyx said man will be dependent again. This was the gods' proud belief.

I would've agreed years ago, but now, I did not. Yet I had taken a vow of silence before accepting my penance.

I was bound to an oath as a god. But I was also beholden to Selene. I had made my choice. I wanted to show Selene everything.

Till Father's voice bellowed in my head, louder than I'd ever heard him before.

My parents had been silent for ten years. I had asked for help, for guidance, for an assessment of my progress, but they had remained quiet. I had thought they'd abandoned me to my devices, but after a decade, Erebus had let himself be heard.

Why now? I hated it.

I hated how the ground shook with the effort it took to withdraw from Selene's dream.

I hated how I made her fall to the ground.

I ran and crouched next to her. I reached for her hand to help her stand. "Selene, I'm so sorry. Are you okay?"

Selene took my hand and looked around her, confused. I noticed the cyclones did not appear upon contact.

"Did you..." she started then closed her eyes tight and shook her head. She opened her eyes and seemed like she was going to stumble again, but she clutched my arm.

She gazed at her unfamiliar surroundings. We were now in a room shaped like a dark cavern with several egresses. It closely resembled my bedchamber from my old world. It was the first and only place I could think of when Father's booming command had startled me.

How I wished I could bring Selene to my realm and comfort her. I would remove the uncertainty in her eyes. She was probably thinking she was going mad and it was my fault. Again. I couldn't endure lying to her.

She let go of my arm when she deemed she was steady enough to stand on her own feet. Then she walked toward one wall and touched it, probably perplexed at its smoothness because it was nothing but a mural of a cave. She bent and touched the floor, probably expecting the gritty texture of sand but again just felt the evenness of a marble floor.