Chapter 1

Eragon rushed over to his tent located at the far end of the camp in Surda. A year had passed since his daughter, Selena, was born. It was a bright, warm day and the air was humid. His wife, Gwen, who is a powerful sorceress for the Varden, and Angela the Herbalist were busy planning a party for Selena despite the aftermath of a battle that transpired only hours earlier. Gwen was not needed in the battle as she was injured and still in recovery from a wound on her leg. A few days ago, she was cut with a sword. In a few more days, she will be fully healed and done with limping.

Eragon met up with Roran, Katrina, and their young son, Garrow, aptly named after Roran's deceased father. "What a great day for a birthday party," he said sarcastically, still covered in grime from the battle. Roran punched his cousin, or rather his brother as they called each other, on the shoulder. In response to the shoulder punch, Eragon embraced Roran in a choke hold.

"Good day indeed," Eragon laughed, releasing his brother after a few long seconds.

Katrina was holding Garrow in her arms and was smiling brightly. "I take it that you are doing well," she said. She went on to say, "And the day really turned out great despite the events of this morning. I am sure it will be a wonderful evening." Typically no one should be that optimistic after a battle, but she as trying to keep a joyful visage for the sake of Selena.

Eragon walked up to Katrina and kissed her cheek. He then kissed Garrow on his brow. "It is a good day. My daughter is now a year old and we are celebrating among friends." He chuckled to himself. "Plus, the battle was quick and with few casualties. The events of today would have been a lot worse if Murtagh and Thorn showed up."

"Aye," Roran said. "Let us pray that he does not know that today is Selena's birthday. I'd hate him to sabotage the Varden in order to ruin the party."

"Hush, Roran. Don't talk so ill," Katrina snapped. "Let us not ruin the pleasantries of the afternoon. Come now, you are both dirty and need to clean up. Angela and Gwen are expecting us soon."

"As always, you are right." The two men entered Eragon's tent where they found Saphira curled up in a ball in the corner. Her orb-like eyes welcomed them as she hummed deep in her throat.

Gwen left with Selena for Angela's about 20 minutes ago.Saphira said mentally to Eragon and Roran. Angela wanted the party at her tent because she is making a cake and obviously did not want to haul it across the camp. Plus, she was closer to where the villagers of Carvahall were staying. Horst and his family and Gertrude already made plans to come to the party. Others said that they will stop by if they have time.

"Thank you Saphira." As the men got ready, Katrina was sitting on Eragon's bed, Garrow on her lap. He became impatient and started to squirm and cry. "He's hungry, so hurry up. The sooner we get to Angela's the sooner I can feed him."

"Yes ma'am," Eragon said, smiling. He was wearing a fancy blue tunic. "I know that Gwen and Angela are anxious for our arrival." They left within a few minutes, Saphira flying overhead.

Angela greeted them at her tent not questioning what took them so long. "Finally, you're here!" Gwen made her way towards her husband and kissed him on his warm, soft lips. "What took you so long?" Unlike Angela, Gwen questioned her husband. Selena was sitting on Angela's bed playing with a rattle, the noise reverberating around the enclosure. Gwen stepped away from Eragon and crossed her arms. That was the only sign of her frustration; her eyes sparkled with concern and curiosity. In fact, Gwen rarely got mad at Eragon. It was hard on her being both a mother and an prominent sorceress for the Varden while her husband is a Dragon Rider. She feared for his life every time he was in a battle or off on some secret mission. She knew that he felt the same way about her.