Chapter 11

A few days passed and Selena finished her peasant outfit. She hid the dress in the back of her closet where no one would find it. Selena spent her days appeasing her father and Charles. She had lunch with Charles everyday and spent afternoons walking with him in the gardens. Charles enjoyed talking about himself, annoying Selena greatly. He did not like deep conversations with women stating that women are not capable of deep thoughts. If the King wasn't nearby, she would have slapped him.

One day in the garden with Charles, Selena spotted a butterfly flying free above the flowers. With all her heart Selena wished to be free of the castle. She looked forward to the day when she would enact her plan. The only problem was that she was unsure when she should leave. In a week it would be her engagement party with Charles. She was hoping to leave before then, but with people coming for the event, guards were on tight patrol. Sneaking out would be hard that week, so she made plans for after the party.

Charles walked up to Selena. She failed to realize that they were all alone in the garden when she was off in her reverie. "Selena, you are so beautiful, and I cannot wait to make you my wife," he said.

Selena just rolled her eyes. Too bad I will not be there on our wedding day. She snickered.

"What's so funny?" He asked, confused.

"Oh nothing, I just had a silly thought for a moment. That's all."

"Right, of course you had a silly thought. Women are always full of silly thoughts. Anyways, would you like to join me in a stroll through the maze?"

"Sure, why not." Ugh, get me out of here! The maze again, as if we weren't just there yesterday, and the day before that. What's so great about the maze? Well, let's just get this done and over with.

She grudgingly locked arms with Charles, walked with him through the maze. As they walked, Charles talked about his families accomplishments, again. Selena ignored his words, concentrating on the birds, bees, and other flying beasts wishing to be free like them. The sun beat down upon them causing her to sweat in her long, tight, gown. After a while Selena began to fan herself with her hand. Charles finally took notice of her discomfort and led her out of the maze and to a tree where they sat in the grass in the shade.

"You should have mentioned that you were hot," Charles remarked.

"Sorry, I was busy listening to your families accomplishments and ignored my discomfort." The words were like bile in her mouth.

"Well, next time, tell me. I don't want you to get heat stroke."

"Of course." They sat there in the shade for a while. Charles began talking about his life with her and all that he has yet to accomplish. Selena forced a smile from time to time making it look like she was listening and enjoying the conversation. Before they headed inside, Charles boldly took Selena's hand and drew her towards him.

"What are you doing, Charles?" Selena became rigid.

"Relax, I just want a kiss." As soon as he finished talking, he leaned in and kissed Selena on the lips. Selena stood there uncomfortable and frozen. She wanted to kick him and run away, but that would look bad on her part, so she endured the torture. When he released the kiss, Selena gasped for air; she had been holding her breath for the entire time.

"Wow, my kiss made you breathless." He winked slyly at her. "Does that mean you want another kiss?" He was about to lean in again when Selena placed her hand against his lips.

"Why don't we save that for our wedding day." She forced another smile.

"You are right, we should wait." He led her inside the castle where they went their separate ways.

Selena headed to her bedroom. She sat upon her bed thinking about what just happened. I can't believe my first kiss was wasted on a creep! Ugh! I have to get out of here, I have to leave. I can't stand another moment of this. There has got to be a way for me to escape. Guards or not, I am finding a way out of here, tonight!