Chapter 5

Saphira landed with a thud sending dust swirling violently around her. Eragon jumped off and unsheathed his sword, his eyes squinting through the dust to see more clearly. Walking through the dust towards him was Norrin. "You won't need your sword, Eragon."

Eragon stared at the man to analyze who he was up against. Saphira, stay there, I will tell you if I want you to attack.

Saphira snorted in approval. Be careful, Eragon. This man is more dangerous than we think. After all, he managed to capture Gwen and Selena, a difficult feat.

I know. I am not even sure how to get out of this predicament. I know that what he wants of me will be impossible for me to comply with. He knows that. This whole mission is a trap, a trap we were unable to avoid. Eragon looked where Gwen and Selena sat tied to the tree. Their helplessness was unbearable to him and he found looking at them in such a state hard to endure. His anger filled every fiber of his being as he longed to hurt the one who hurt his family.

I know, Little One. Saphira said.

Norrin stood a few feet from Eragon at this point observing the Dragon Rider. "What are you thinking?" An eerie smile crossed his lips.

"I am thinking that you want me to join the King or die. Am I right?" Eragon still had his sword in his hand. He was ready to strike whenever provoked, but never before unwilling to risk his wife and daughter's lives. Any sign of attack is an instant death warrant for his family, Eragon knew this well and kept his hand steady.

"I daresay you are entirely correct. You see, King Galbatorix is willing to make you an offer, an offer you would be daft to decline. He is willing to spare you life, as well as your family, if you join forces with him. The Varden will not last long, you know that. Do you think a few farmers with pitchforks can stand a chance against the King's army? If you join with the King, you will be greatly rewarded. What say you?"

"That is a generous offer, but I have to wonder what the King plans to do with the Varden if he wins this war? Will he spare their lives if they surrender, or will he slaughter them all like animals? As a Rider, I have to consider the lives of the people I am trying to protect." Eragon said this with caution. He had an inkling he knew the answer to his question, but the answer was not his goal. He was trying to prolong their conversation until he could figure out a way to save his family in a convenient manner. As he spoke, he carefully observed his location. The land was barren save for the lone tree. The Varden camp was a few miles behind him, so any form of help was inconceivable. The four traitorous guards stood watch over the prisoners. Eragon knew that they would be very easy to get rid of. As far as Norrin, Eragon knew not just how powerful he was. He did not look like he was smart, let alone a magic user.

"Interesting." Norrin manically laughed. "Quite interesting indeed."

Eragon gave Norrin a quizzical look, but said nothing.

Norrin noticed Eragon's confusion and said, "I have your family tied to a tree and here you are considering the lives of some worthless peasant! Where do your priorities lie, I really want to know. I have heard that you were a compassionate soul, but this is ridiculous. The King will not kill those who serve him. It's those that oppose him that he will kill. Now, about that offer, what say you?"

Eragon forced himself to suppress his anger. "I know where my priorities lie. Why does the King want me anyways? He already has Murtagh and Thorn. What is he going to do with Saphira and I, what about my family? I must know if I am to decide whether or not to join the King. How come he is not trying to persuade Nasuada or King Orrin to join him? What makes me so enticing that he wants me?"

Norrin suddenly lost all composure and laughed freely. "I understand what you are doing, Eragon. I know you are no ignorant fool, so why act like one? You have bought yourself enough time to ponder the King's offer. You next words will be your answer, any other than the main will be taken as a decline and you and your family will die."

Eragon's heart skipped a beat, he was cornered. He looked at Gwen sympathetically, tears nearly brimmed his eyes. She met his gaze, tears already falling down her dirty cheeks, and silently nodded her head, acknowledging their imminent doom. I love you. He said to Gwen with his mind. When he did, he noticed how clouded her mind was and was surprised she even heard his statement when she responded with the same words. You are drugged? Another nod. If I can somehow unbind you, do you think you can still fight?

Physically, yes. I am unable to use magic as I find it difficult to recall the Ancient Language. What of Selena? If unbound, I would much rather guard her.

I understand. At that, Eragon severed their connection. He dared not linger longer without responding to Norrin. "I would rather die than serve the King."

"That can be arranged." Norrin was not longer smiling. He unsheathed a sword and prepared for an attack. Without looking at the guards, Norrin said, "Kill them."

Saphira, take care of the guards and try to release Gwen. You might be able to cut her bonds with your talons. Norrin is mine.

Eragon swung Brisingr. Saphira advanced towards the guards. The fight for their lives had begun.