Chapter 30

Outside the door, Eragon led Tristan towards the main square. "Before you even say anything, I already admit that I have been grumpy all day, but seriously, is that any reason to throw me out? She can't be mad at me for that." Tristan said.

"She's not mad at you."

Tristan scoffed. "Then how do you explain why she kicked me out, and wants you to talk to me?"

Eragon stopped walking and faced his companion. "Tristan, she slammed you against the door as she kissed you; that is not typical of a woman who kicks her boyfriend out of the house when she is mad. She wanted us to leave so that you can get some fresh air allowing her room to breathe as well. Does that makes sense?"

Tristan stood there awkwardly listening to Eragon. "Only a little," he sighed.

"If she kicks you out without a kiss, then you know you are in trouble."

"I will keep that in mind." Tristan resumed walking, and then paused. "Where are we going anyways?"

"The only place we really can go, the bar." The men entered the stuffy tavern and took a seat in the corner of the room by the fireplace. They ordered their first round of beers before Eragon started another conversation. "I have wanted to tell you and Selena something all day, but the moods you were in kept me from speaking." The barmaid handed them their drinks.

Tristan took a sip before replying. "What did you want to tell us?" He took another sip.

"After speaking with Arya this morning, I finally figured out a way that we can possibly help your sister." Tristan's eyes grew big, but said nothing when Eragon put his hand up. "We will take her to Ellesmera. The elves have more medicine than we do here, so they might be able to cure whatever it is she has."

"Eragon, I don't know what else I can say except, thank you. When did you want to leave?" Tristan's excitement please Eragon.

"In the morning, if you can be ready."

"Oh, I will be. When we get back I will tell Selena after I apologize for my behavior today."

Eragon chuckled. "Tristan, you don't have to apologize for that…"

"Yes, I do. She never told you what I said to her this morning, did she?"

Eragon narrowed his eyes, "No, she didn't." He took a drink from his mug. Tristan laughed, meekly. "What did you say? She told me you didn't do anything wrong." He crossed his arms.

"Oh, well then, never mind." He quickly took a gulp of the beer to avoid eye contact.

Eragon slowly shook his head up and down. "What did you say? You do realize I found her sobbing outside your door this morning."

"Hey, she called me foolish first."

"Foolish about what?"

"Okay, fine. I just noted how we happened to get together right when my sister got sick and she got all defensive and called me foolish because it just seemed the gods were messing with me."

Eragon took some time to process what he had just said and tried to come up with a way to reply. When he remained silent with his dumbfounded visage, Tristan exploded. "Great, you think I am crazy too," he said, throwing up his arms.

Eragon laughed. "You know, I think Selena is just a little crazier than you."

Tristan looked at Eragon with surprise. "Er, really?"

"Just a little bit." He took another drink.

Tristan cleared his throat, "Anyways, you must be anxious to see Saphira again."

Eragon smiled. "I don't think there are any words that can describe how much I miss her."

"And your family and friends in Ellesmera, you miss them a lot as well." At the mention of family, Eragon's mind instantly thought of Selena, and then Gwen. His heart became heavy as grief seeped its way through once more. Tristan noticed his sudden change in disposition, and felt bad for bringing up a sensitive topic. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to brink up bad memories." He lowered his gaze and took a drink to keep from rambling off apologies.

"It's fine." He took a drink as well. After a few moments of silence, he spoke again. "I really wish Selena could have met her mother. It is bad enough that I never got to know mine. It's like you said, the gods must like to mess with us at times."

"I never knew that you never met your mother either. What about your father, you had him growing up, didn't you?" When he asked his question, Tristan realized how little he knew about Eragon.

Eragon shook his head, "I never even knew who my father was until I was 17, and by that time he was already dead. Though, I did know him, but it's not the same."

"No, it wouldn't be." He paused. "Did Selena ever mention anything about my past to you?"

"No, she didn't. I guess she figured it would be better if you told me yourself."

Tristan smiled, "Of course." Tristan relayed his life story to Eragon, who listened intently. When he had finished, Eragon viewed Tristan in a whole new way and fully understood why his daughter was so in love with him.

"Selena is very fortunate to have you in her life, and even I am in awe of all that you have had to deal with. You are a good man, Tristan." Eragon raised his glass.

Tristan looked at Eragon and finally felt comfortable around him. He raised his glass as Eragon chanted, "A toast to welcome a long, and wonderful friendship." Tristan and Eragon smiled at one another and pressed their mugs together. "Cheers!"