Chapter 27

Tristan grabbed his pack and heaved a heavy sigh. "Well, it's time for me to be heading off." The clouds in the sky looked like they wanted to drop their heavy load at any moment causing the traveler's to be more distressed than they already were. Selena hugged and kissed Tristan.

"I love you," she whispered into his ear.

"I love you too." He kissed her again. "I am heading for the village of Morton in case you wanted to know."

"I will remember the name." Shikaru brushed up against her leg. "Oh! Shikaru wishes you a safe journey."

"Thank you, Shikaru. Watch over Selena for me." The dragon hummed deep in his throat.

Eragon approached placing his hand on Tristan's shoulder. "May the stars watch over you, and may your sword stay sharp!"

"Thank you. I will look for you in Ellesmera." With that, he started off heading west. Selena held back tears and turned towards her father who looked at her sympathetically before walking north along the Lake.

Each step became harder and harder for Selena to endure until finally after about twenty minutes of walking, she stopped altogether. I can't do this Shikaru, I need to be with Tristan.

Little one, following Tristan is a dangerous path, we must get to Ellesmera where it will be safe and we can continue our training.

Eragon looked quizzically at his daughter as her silent conversation with Shikaru continued. When their connection was severed, Eragon asked, "What is going on?"

"I am not going to Ellesmera just yet; I am going to Morton."

"Selena, are you mad? We need to go to Ellesmera."

"No, you want me to go with you to Ellesmera, Ellesmera was never my destination. I went with you because you are my father, but things are different now. My heart is telling me that I need to follow Tristan."

"This is absurd! Shikaru, tell her this is madness."

I will go wherever my Rider wishes to go, and she is set on following Tristan, so that is where I am going as well.

Eragon was dumbstruck. "Father," Selena carefully approached him. "you told me about all of your adventures on the way to the Varden, how will this be any different? I am not doing this to cause trouble with you or to seek danger, no, I am doing this because I feel like I can help Tristan."

"I know you love him, and that you want to be with him, but this is one task that he wished to do alone."

"Then how come his eyes suggested otherwise? If not our great haste to get to Ellesmera, he might have openly asked us to accompany him, but he could not under the current circumstances."

"We do not even know what his business in Morton is about…"

"You do not know what his business is about, but I do. He told me last night before the kissing fiasco."

"Oh, great, you know something I don't." He was being frank about his sarcasm.

"I am not asking you permission to go, I will go and you cannot stop me. But I ask that you will come with me." She was almost in tears as she pleaded with him.

Eragon silently cursed to himself. When he did not respond, Selena began walking west. After a few steps, she stopped saying, "Tristan's 7 year old sister is dying, and I cannot in good conscience abandon her when I can try to save her." A tear rolled down her cheek as she continued walking, Shikaru at her side. Her mood brightened when she heard her father catch up behind her.

"I will not let you leave me behind. I will contact Saphira and Arya when we next rest to inform them of our changed plans."

Selena smiled and hugged her father. Eragon could not stay mad at her as he cracked a smile as well. "I told you that I will be there for you. I might not like this idea, but I am here."

Arya and Saphira were mad at the direction change, but could not deter Selena from her path. She told Saphira that she can come and meet them on the outskirts of the village to which Saphira accepted with a growl.

Tristan's heart was heavy matching the gloomy clouds that still hung overhead. Not one drop of rain fell just like he never let himself cry as he trekked forward. Around noon, he sat down and ate some bread. He was along the Ninor River and was able to refill his water skin. Replenished, he continued on. By the end of the day he was just barely out of reach of the village. He camped next to a large bush and fell asleep in the cool night air.

The next day Morton came into view. As he joined the worn path into town, he noticed two figures standing outside the gate wearing cloaks that he recognized. When he got closer, the smaller cloaked figure ran out to him with pulling off the hood. Tristan embraced Selena thrilled to see her, but also confused why she was at Morton. Answering his thoughts, she said, "I couldn't let you do this alone." She kissed him as her father approached.

"But what about Ellesmera?" Tristan asked.

"I already contacted Arya and Saphira. They were not pleased, but they can't do anything about it. Saphira will join us when we are done here."

Tristan nodded. Together they headed into Morton.