Chapter 18

"You are my father?" Selena was a bit surprised by the news. "How can that be?"

"It's a long story, Selena, and one that I cannot tell you at the moment." Eragon shifted his feet. "I will explain to you later what happened."

"Fine." Selena unbound Eragon and as soon as he was free, he embraced Selena is a hug.

"I should have told you sooner."

"I doubt I would have believed you if you tried to tell me. It wasn't until after I came back that I really felt that something was amiss." Selena smiled meekly.

Outside the door, they heard Tristan say, "Selena, come here, we've got company!"

Selena stiffened. "Is it Murtagh?"

"Unless he suddenly became small, green, and scaly, it ain't Murtagh."

"What?" Selena and Eragon ran to the door and peered out. Walking towards the cell was a small, baby dragon. "The last egg, it hatched, and for me!"

Tristan and Eragon gave Selena a quizzical look. "Before I came to free Eragon, I found where Galbatorix hid the last dragon egg, and I touched it. I didn't think it was going to hatch for me."

"Well, you better go touch him." Selena kneeled down, her hand outstretched towards the tiny animal.

"Come here, little one."

"It's going to hurt, Selena." Eragon said.

Tristan looked at Eragon. "So, you are her father?"

"Yes, and who are you?" Eragon crossed his arms and leaned against the wall.

Tristan chucked weakly before him. "I am Tristan."

"What do you want with my daughter, Tristan?" Eragon coked his head.

"I am helping her escape this place. I refuse to be used…" he stopped when he heard Selena scream in pain.

Eragon quickly knelt down where Selena lay unconscious. "It won't last long. Come, we can finish our conversation later. We should leave." He lifted his daughter. The green dragon followed behind him, nipping at his heels. Eragon stopped for a second and stared at the creature. After, the dragon stopped trying to bite Eragon.

Tristan was in front leading the way out of the prison. When they turned a corner, Tristan yielded; before him, stood Murtagh. "Where do you think you are going?" He laughed manically. "Did you really think you could escape?"

Tristan remained silent, unsure what to say. Murtagh grabbed Tristan by the collar. In reaction, Tristan grabbed a dagger and placed it at the man's throat. "Let go of me," he spat.

Angry, Murtagh threw Tristan against the wall. Hitting his head, Tristan fell to the ground.

Eragon still stood holding Selena. The dragon snarled up at Murtagh, sensing danger. "We meet again, Murtagh."

"How do you live? I killed you that day!" Murtagh raged.

"You did kill me when you murdered my wife and kidnapped my child." Eragon looked at Selena. "She knows the truth."

Murtagh's eyes flashed red. The dragon hissed, a plume of smoke rising from his nostrils. Eragon set Selena gently on the ground. To the dragon, Eragon told him to stay by her side. The dragon coked his head, but complied with him. Behind Murtagh, Tristan began to stir. No one paid him any attention as Eragon took his stance against Murtagh.

"Are you ready to die again, brother?"

"I am not your brother." Eragon lunged at Murtagh knocking him to the ground. In the years that passed since their last encounter, Eragon had trained to become more skilled in fighting with his fists as well as with magic.