Chapter 25

The passage around Gil'ead was not easy due to the heavy population. Just because the King was not ardent on their capture, there was still a warrant for their arrest, and they had to be careful. Shikaru had to fly high in the sky when the trees gave way to a vast plain. In the sky, he did not look like a dragon at all, just a small flying speck people will call a bird. Shikaru was still young, but in another few weeks, he would be strong enough to carry Selena's weight. She was excited to ride him, as well as a little nervous.

When they made it around Gil'ead, they trekked a few miles west walking along Lake Isenstar. After a long day of travel, they made camp. Eragon grabbed a bowl of water and sat down on the ground. Then he chanted words in the Ancient Language that allowed the water to change color forming into a picture of a blue dragon and a female elf with long, black hair. But the spell was more than just to scry, it was a way for both to communicate.

"Saphira, it's been so long. I have missed you. And Arya, how fare you?" Eragon said.

Selena and Tristan sat down on either side of him to take a look in the bowl. Shikaru took his place in front of Eragon to peer in. "It has been a very long time, Eragon Shadeslayer. Saphira says that she misses you and will come after you if you do not return soon."

Eragon laughed. "That sounds just like her. I am on my way to Ellesmera. Currently, I am outside of Gil'ead camped along Lake Isenstar. With me is my daughter, Selena and her dragon Shikaru, and Tristan."

Arya and Saphira gazed at Eragon's companions. "Then your task was a success. I am glad to hear that the last egg has hatched, and to an ally. Selena, I know you will make a fine Rider, just like your father. Shikaru, a strong name for a strong dragon, take care of Selena."

Selena blushed a little. "Thank you." Shikaru snorted in agreement.

"Saphira, if I contact you again in a few days, will you be able to meet up with us? Us as in Selena, Shikaru, and I. Tristan is leaving soon for personal reasons. He is a good man and I trust him with my life. I do not doubt his intentions."

Arya remained silent waiting for Saphira to tell her the message to relay. "Saphira will be more than ready to meet up with you. For now, we must part. Eragon, safe journey. Same goes for you, Tristan. May your swords stay sharp."

The water turned black as the connection was severed, then turned clear again.

"So, that is the famous Saphira? She is magnificent, better than I imagined. I can't wait to see her up close!" Selena's excitement bubbled over.

Eragon smiled at her enthusiasm. "You are defiantly the daughter of a Rider."

Tristan remained silent watching Selena bounce with excitement. She danced with Shikaru and laughed when she tripped over his tail. The emerald dragon nudged her to get up. When she did, she hugged her dragon and headed over to the fire. Eragon rolled his eyes and took out some food for all of them. Shikaru trotted off to hunt.

Tristan rolled his eyes when Selena continued to talk about dragons with her father. It wasn't that he hated her giddiness, it was just the fact that he would be leaving in the morning and she barely paid him any attention. He knew she loved him, and he also knew that she had a duty to her dragon as well as her father, but he still felt the sting of jealousy. He wanted Selena and when she failed to notice him for long periods of time, he got mad. Yet, no matter how anxious he became with her, he always treated her with kindness; he would never forgive himself if he hurt her.

The night wore on and Selena calmed down. Eragon lay down and closed his eyes listening to the fire pop. Tristan and Selena sat side by side on a log. At long last, Selena broke the silence. "You have been real quiet tonight."

"I am just thinking." He did not look at her when he spoke. He was sharpening his dagger with a whetstone.

"You don't want to leave, do you?"

Tristan stopped scraping the blade against the stone to look at Selena. "You are not my only duty. There are others that I love and I will protect them as well." He spoke with a passion that Selena misunderstood.

"If these people are so important, then why do you travel with us?"

"Selena, please, don't be this way. The place I am headed to is east of here, so traveling north with you was not out of my way."

"What if our travels took you away from your destination? Would have still traveled with us?"

Her questions bothered him. "Maybe, if it wasn't too far…"

"Out of your way. Look, did you really mean when you said that you loved me from the moment you met me? Or did you think I was some girl you could use to get your way out of the palace?"

"Selena! What has gotten into you? Of course I meant what I said."

"Sure you did." She stood up and walked to the edge of the camp.

Tristan jammed his dagger into the log in frustration. "Selena, you are the biggest pain I have ever met, but you are my pain! Do you think that it will be easy for me to leave tomorrow? I am only a man, Selena, and as such there is only so much I can do."

"Who is she?"

Tristan stood up and started to approach Selena. "What are you talking about?"

"I am no fool. You love another woman, I can see it in your eyes. Who is she?"

Tristan's face hardened. He breathed heavy to try to stay as calm as possible, but she was really pushing his buttons. "Why must you always pick fights with me?"

"Because your love is not true!" She pushed him. She attempted to push him again, but he caught both her hands. He held them tightly, but not hard enough to hurt her.

"Are you ill? Why must you speak such poison? I love you Selena!"

"Who is she?"

"Someone that I do love, but my love for her is not the same kind of love that I have for you."

"Impossible!"

"No. Listen, you love me and your father, but the love you have for him is not how you feel about me."

Selena broke free from his grasp and fell to her knees weeping. Tristan kneeled down and placed his arms around her.

"Selena, I will come back. I will go to Ellesmera after this." He kissed her brow.

She cried into his chest as he rocked her back and forth. "Why is she so important? What makes her so special?"

"I cannot stop you from being jealous, I mean I am jealous when you pay more attention to Shikaru or your father than me. But, I know that you still love me and that is what keeps me from going insane." He lifted up her chin and kissed her gently. "I love you."

"I love you, Tristan." She hugged him. "But please, I need to know, who is she?"

Tristan sighed and said, "Selena, she is only my younger sister."