Chapter 10

Evan was in a dream Selena had the night of her party. They were dancing together and laughing about something. In her dream, she was able to spend some quality time with her new acquaintance making her very happy. What she discovered after she woke up in the morning was that she had no idea how old the man was. He can't be that old, can he? She remembered that ho looked barely older than a teenager, but he acted far beyond his years.

A knock at the door startled her. "Just a minute," she cried getting up abruptly from her bed. She put on a robe and yelled, "Ok, you can come in now." It was her father that entered. "Father, what are you doing here?" she asked, confused.

"I am here to tell you the good news!" Murtagh looked as excited as his voice. He was dressed nicely and smiled.

Selena was utterly baffled. What is it this time? Good news for him is always bad news for me. "What is it, father? Do tell." She acted like she was interested to appease him.

"I have come to tell you that the King and I have found you a suitor. His name is Charles and he wishes to see you this afternoon. He said that you were marvelous last night and has taken a great interest in you. Charles is a rich man and has a high ranking position in the King's Army. I believe you will find him to your liking."

I don't think so, the man was boring and disgusting. Before her father announced Charles as her suitor, Selena was hoping that he would say Evan's name. Though, right when she thought of Evan, she cringed. There was no way that she would marry him. Evan was someone she wanted to be friends with, not as a life companion. She did not fully understand what made her feel that way about Evan, she just had a feeling that being intimate with him was wrong.

"Daughter, are you all right? You look pale?" Indeed Selena was pale. She hated the idea of her father choosing someone for her to marry. She was also unhappy with her conclusion about Evan.

"I am fine, just surprised by the news. You said he wants to meet me this afternoon?"

"Aye, I did. I will send Bridgette to prepare you. For now, adieu." Her father left the room.

As soon as her father was out of sight, Selena ran to find Bridgette.

"Selena, what's the matter? You are all out of breath!" Bridgette asked with concern.

"I have ill news, my father found me a suitor! His name is Charles. He was the second man I danced with at the ball last night. My father expects me to talk with Charles this afternoon, but I don't want to. I am not ready yet. Please, can you help me? Can you make me look sick from one of your potions? Please, I am begging you!"

"Good heaven's child! You are much too hasty. Please, calm down."

"Bridgette, I need your help! Please!" Selena pleaded vigorously.

"All right, I will help. But don't you think that I will do this again. It's like I did with the magic, a onetime deal."

"Fine, but please hurry. My father is going to fetch you soon and I have to look ill by then."

"Then let us get a move on." They left towards Selena's room to enact their plan.

"She's sick?" Charles asked, dismayed.

"I am afraid so," Murtagh said. "This morning she did look pale. I was too excited about the news that I overlooked it. I am sorry."

The King said nothing as the two men talked about Selena's sickness. Bridgette's potion worked wonderful as everyone believed her to be ill. In her room, Selena began to plot out the specific details of her escape plan. She knew that she would travel at night and that she would climb down the tree next to her balcony. She had enough confidence in herself that her plan would work. She knew that in order to escape, she would have to look like a peasant woman. She would also have to bring food and a map. Plus, cutting her hair would be smart as well. She thought about impersonating a man but thought better of it. She figured that would be a little too hard to pull off considering her very womanly figure. Her breasts were of a decent size and her body slender and curvy. Then there was her tender voice. That alone would be hard to sound like a man.

Anyways, Selena took out some brown cloth and her sewing tools to begin work on her peasant outfit. She decided not to tell Bridgette of her escape plan. As much as Bridgette has helped her, running away was not an option. Whenever Selena heard a noise, she quickly hid her tools under the covers, laid down, and pretended she was asleep. The whole day followed that pattern until night came and Selena decided to sleep. She had another long day ahead of her and needed her rest. She slept soundly knowing that her plan was underway. Soon she would be free from the castle walls and in control of her life for the first time.