Chapter 15

"I knew it!" Selena spat. "You want to kill me, just like you did when I was an infant, and to think, I am your niece!"

"Selena, what on earth are you talking about?" Eragon was more than confused; he was scared how badly Murtagh and the King brainwashed his daughter.

"I'm talking about the time when I was a baby and you kidnapped me and wanted to murder me. Oh yes, I know all about that. You were jealous because Murtagh had everything, and you didn't. The fact that he had a child was unbearable for you, so you tried to kill me. What I don't understand is how you are even alive, Murtagh killed you."

"He almost did kill me, but I never tried to kill you. Never!" He was pleaded with her now.

"I don't believe that." She started to back up slowly. "I can't travel with you. I should never have left home. I know what I want to do. Goodbye, Uncle." Off Selena ran. She ran south towards the palace; she was going home. She had to warn her father that her uncle was still alive. Foolish! How could I have been so stupid? As much as I hate my father, he is still took care of me. He even saved my life as a baby, I do owe him that. I shouldn't have run away. The only thing I learned from Eragon was to fight back, and that's what I am going to do.

She was thrilled when she made it to the nearest town. At the gate, the guard looked at her and asked, "What brings you here?"

"Sir, my looks are deceiving, but I am Selena, daughter of Murtagh." She was out of breath, hungry, and tired, but determined as well.

The guard looked her over again, this time his eyes growing large. "It is you! Your father has been searching all over for you, young lady. Come with me. I will get you a room for the night. Tomorrow at dawn, I will take you to your father."

"Thank you." Selena followed the guard. He was a young man with light brown hair and brown eyes. He was taller than her and was quite fit.

He stopped at an inn and opened the door for her. "Thanks." She said. He is really polite for a guard…and cute!

At the counter, the guard talked to the innkeeper. "I am paying for this young woman to stay here. She is to be given a hot meal and a bath. No one is to disturb her when she goes to bed, is that clear?"

"Aye , I understand. Come this way, miss." He waved his hand for her to follow as the guard laid down the money.

"Hold on," Selena said. She looked at the guard and asked for his name.

"I am Tristan." He bowed. "Now, I must get back to my post. Be ready at dawn."

"I will." Selena walked with the innkeeper to her room. It was larger than the one she had before, and a lot nicer. Her food was brought to her, and after she ate, she took a long hot bath. When she got out of the washroom, she noticed a new pair of clothes and a note. She took the paper and read: "Thought you might like something better to wear. I hope it fits. – Tristan."

Wow, it's gorgeous! Selena looked at the blue dress with gold lining. It must have cost him a lot… She tried on the dress. It fits great! She fell asleep in the dress thinking about the past few days.

Morning came all too fast for Selena. She grudgingly got up and left the room. In the lobby, she met up with Tristan. "I hope you slept well. I informed your father of your arrival, and he is glad to hear that you are alive and well. A carriage is waiting for you outside."

"Thank you, but before I go, can I get something to eat?" Her stomach growled.

"Of course!" The guard snapped his fingers at the innkeeper. He obliged immediately getting bread, cheese, and bacon for the lady.