Chapter 19

It was a few hours before sundown when Selena and Tristan made camp. They had covered a few leagues hoping to be far enough away in case an alarm was raised. When they had left, Eragon and Murtagh were about to start their battle. Selena was reluctant to leave her father, but was dragged out by Tristan. Throughout their escape, he continued to try and comfort her with encouraging words. Each time he did, he received a sour look.

Tristan sighed and began to look for some firewood. Selena took out her bedroll and unraveled it on the dirt. Tired, hungry, and in an ill mood, she crawled into the blanket and stared up at the darkening sky. The sun was bright orange as it was beginning to set. It was a cold day and only got colder. Selena pulled her blanket tighter around her and grumbled. Beside her, the small dragon looked up at her. "Come here." She said. Excited, the dragon jumped into her arms. She let him wander around on her blankets as she stared at him. "I will have to name you soon." The dragon looked at her and snorted, smoke rising from his nostrils. As she looked at him, her mind began to wander to the events of the day. Her eyes began to water as she thought about her father.

When Tristan returned, he found Selena in tears. He dropped the wood in his arms and rushed over to her side. "Shh…Selena, all will be fine. You'll see." He knew that what he was saying was probably not true, but he had to keep up her spirits. Their survival depended on their optimism and cunning. Having Selena weak of mind placed them in danger because she was not fully alert to their surroundings.

"How can things be all right? My father could be dead!" she shouted into the air. Her tears chilled as they rolled down her cold cheeks. Tristan looked up at the sky .

"Do you believe in destiny?" he asked tentatively.

"I don't know what to believe in. My whole life as I knew it was a lie. The man I once knew as father is my Uncle, and the Uncle I though tried to murder me as an infant is really my father. What am I supposed to believe in?" Her eyes unveiled her uncertainty.

"Believe in yourself, Selena. I know you can get through these trials. No one said life was easy. Look, when my mother died, I was devastated. I was never close with my father, so my mother meant everything to me. She taught me magic. When she died, I felt like my entire world ended. But, I pulled through because I realized that she is with me in my memory and in my heart. If anything happened to your father, take note that he died loving you, something I never received from my father, even in death."

"Oh, Tristan. I'm so sorry." Selena's tears flowed freely down her face. Tristan boldly cradled her in his arms, her head resting on his chest. The dragon growled, but stopped when Tristan mentally informed him that everything was fine. They sat there for a while until Selena's tears stopped flowing. With her sleeves, she wiped her eyes. "You should probably start the fire before we freeze to death."

Tristan suddenly became alert and released his grip from her. "Of course," he smiled. "I am afraid the fire will be small, but it will suffice." He began work on the bonfire. When he finished, he took out a small cauldron and filled it with water from a nearby stream. Into the boiling water he placed chunks of meat with a dash of salt. "I'm sorry the meal is so meager."

"It's alright." She wrapped herself with her blanket. "I hope this cold weather clears soon."

"Aye, it has been a harsh Spring." In silence, they ate their sparse meal. The dragon smacked his jaws finishing his portion. The sun had completely set and the only light was from the waning fire. Selena fell asleep, the dragon curled up next to her, while Tristan took watch; he had volunteered to stay up all night despite Selena's attempts to take shifts.

The night was alarmingly quiet. Tristan kept himself armed in case someone should intrude on their camp. Hours passed with nothing amiss. Tristan yawned and was about to retrieve some water when a twig snapped in the distance. Alert, Tristan raised his sword. He stood erect listening into the darkness. "Who's there?" he asked, when he heard footsteps.

"Stand down. It's me, Eragon." Eragon emerged from the darkness, the light from the fire casting a luminous glow on his face.

Tristan immediately sheathed his sword. "You're alive?" He hated to sound like a pessimist, but he honestly didn't believe Eragon would survive. "Murtagh, is defeated?"

"He is, but enough of that now. I will explain later when Selena is awake. She is going to want to know the tale as well." Tristan nodded his head. Eragon walked over to the fire and warmed his hands.

"You must be starving." Tristan said, quickly grabbing a bowl. He poured chunks of leftover meat into the bowl and handed it to Eragon.

"Thanks." Eragon ate the food. Satisfied, he took out a blanket from a pack he had and covered himself. "Cold night."

"It is." He shivered. A few minutes elapsed before he spoke again. "She will be pleased when she wakes up." He looked over at Selena.

"How was she?" Eragon asked, concerned.

"Not good at all. The whole day she cried on and off. Her depression was legitimate, but it was hard to cope with nonetheless."

Eragon nodded. "I really appreciate you taking care of her."

Tristan blushed, thankful it was dark so Eragon could not see he pink cheeks. "It was nothing really. I had plans of running away anyways; taking her along was not a problem."

"Is that so? No matter, you will always have my gratitude. Now, if I may ask, how did you and Selena meet?"

Tristan met Eragon's quizzical stare. "The night she ran away from you. She came to the village of Stevensville. I was posted at the front gate that night and when she told me her identity, I gave her a room at the inn and the next day took her to the castle. Ever since then, I was stationed at the castle." Even though what he said was true, he still felt nervous telling Eragon this information.

The fire popped, hot embers floating across the camp. Eragon shifted his position. "You are tired. Get some sleep. I can keep watch until dawn." Tristan decided not to argue against it, so he unrolled his bedding and fell asleep.