Chapter 20

Selena shook violently screaming at the top of her lungs, sweat beading her brow. Many voices were talking at once, but only one was prominent enough for her to hear what was being said, despite her wailing. "I am coming for you, and your little dragon. No matter where you go, I will find you. Did you honestly think you could get away?" A menacing laugh filled the void. Selena cried out in pain as a black flame hit her in the gut. The laughing got louder and louder until it suddenly dissipated and another voice filled her head.

"Selena! Selena! Wake up!" Eragon was holding down his daughter as she kicked and screamed in horror. Tristan watched in awe while the dragon growled at the invisible demons possessing Selena's mind. After much effort, Selena began to calm down and finally awoke.

Looking up she saw her father staring down at her with a worried expression. "Father?" she asked weakly. "Am I still dreaming, or am I dead and in the afterlife?"

"You are not dreaming and most certainly not dead." He helped Selena sit up. She was utterly confused and even a bit dizzy.

"If I am awake, then that must mean that you are alive!" Her shocked expression covered up her confusion. Selena was in tears as she embraced her father. "I didn't think that you would make it."

"Well, I did. Anyways, we will discuss that later. You should get something to eat before we head off. I guarantee you that the king knows that Murtagh is dead and that I escaped. The whole kingdom will be looking for us now."

Selena nodded and took a piece of bread offered to her. Her dragon snorted in happiness as chunks of meat landed in front of him.

"You should name him." Eragon said.

"I know. I just don't know what to name him."

Eragon listed off a few male names as well as a few female names, just in case. None of them seemed to fit the dragon. They sat there thinking until a name popped in Selena's head. What about "Shikaru?" The dragon nodded in approval. "Great. Shikaru it is." Selena smiled.

"Now that we have a powerful name for the dragon, we must be off."

"Where are we headed?" Tristan asked.

"Our best bet is to head for Ellesmera. While on our way, I do know of a few safe havens. When the Varden was destroyed, many of them went back to their normal lives. There was nothing else we they do. The most prominent figures for the Varden were welcome to stay in Ellesmera for safety. That is where I have lived for many years."

"I see. Is your dragon there…or did she…" he trailed off unsure.

"She is safe in Ellesmera. She was angry that I went on this mission alone, but it had to be done."

I wonder what would have happened if she tagged along anyways?"

"Who knows?"Eragon shrugged.

The four of them traveled through the woods walking at a brisk pace. They were fortunate not to come across any danger that day and made camp in another clearing.

"So tell me how you defeated Murtagh?" Selena asked.

It was after dinner and they were sitting around the campfire staying warm. "Well, when you left with Tristan, Murtagh and I had a very vicious battle. For a while we fought equally until a man interrupted our duel. He was in the King's guard and informed Murtagh that the King was on his way back to the palace and that he was very displeased. The news crippled Murtagh enough for him to admit that he was defeated no matter what. What he meant was that even if he managed to kill me, he would still be severely punished for letting you escape. He hated himself for everything that he had done in the past and said that I should put an end to his misery. As much as I wanted to kill him, I couldn't. He showed so much valor that I did not have the heart to strike him down. That's when the most remarkable thing happened. Murtagh cursed Galbatorix's name and stabbed himself in the gut! I stood there completely stunned; I have never seen anything like it. Soon it became clear to me that he managed to free himself from Galbatorix's power, and instead of joining me, he killed himself. Before he died, he said he was sorry for everything and that he was proud to have me as his brother." At the end of his tale, Eragon's cheeks were wet with tears.

"I can't believe he would do something like that. I never knew him to be so brave or so thoughtful! When he pretended to be my father, he always acted like he loved serving the King."

"He only did that to spare himself from receiving punishment. Murtagh was a fickle character; I will never fully understand him. For many years I hated him, and now I have to thank him. When he died, Thorn died as well. That was the hardest part to endure, the fact that it was more than just a man dying, it was a Rider. I guess he felt that he would never be accepted in this world, so he took his life as a final act of retribution. No matter what people say, he died in honor."

"Now I feel bad for purposely making his life a living hell. All my life I did all I could to make him miserable." Selena cried. "I feel like a horrible person now."

Eragon embraced his daughter. "Selena, don't be so hard on yourself. You didn't know. Another reason I am in his debt is because he did take care of you. The King's power over him was strong. At least now he is at peace."

"I know, but still." She wiped the tears off her face and stared at the fire. "What do you think the king will do now, besides look for us? Surely he will not take Murtagh's death lightly."

"No, he will not. I do not know what his plans will be."

"If I may," Tristan piped in, "there has been talk among the magicians of a shade. Nothing was certain and no one really believed it because the king had Murtagh, but now that he is gone, a shade is very possible for the King to create."

Selena and Eragon looked at each other. "Over the years the king has been gathering more and more magic users. His theory is plausible." Selena said.

Eragon shook his head in approval. "I think you are right, Tristan. We must make sure before we jump to conclusions, but a Shade does sound like something Galbatorix will attempt to create again."