Chapter 8

The day wore on and Selena still did not hear from the King. She spent her time trying to knit with Bridgette but became restless and just stared out the castle window. Her mind began to wander until she was in a daydream. She saw herself running free in a field of flowers, the sun shining down warming her skin. Birds sang in the distance and bee's buzzed around the flowers. Everything was perfect. Or at least until Bridgette snapped Gwen out of her reverie saying that word came from King Galbatorix.

Selena groaned and placed her unfinished knitting project in a basket. She got up and followed Bridgette down a long corridor. For a while they walked until they reached the throne room. Galbatorix dismissed Bridgette leaving Selena alone with the King except for his guards. Selena searched the Kings face looking for any hint about what he wanted to talk to her about. He gave nothing away discouraging Selena. She curtsied low before Galbatorix before asking what he wanted to talk about.

"Did your father talk to you about your party?"

"Yes, sir, he did earlier today. He told me that the masquerade was your idea."

"Did he now? Do you like this idea?"

"I did. It is a very nice idea."

"That's good to hear. Now, on to what I really wanted to talk to you about. For many years you have been educated in the ways of magic. I had hoped that I could use your talent to my advantage, but you never rose above my expectations so I had to make a very hard decision. I was deciding whether or not I should have you join the elite group of magicians. You are a wonderful magic user, but I feel that you do not have what it takes to be in my group. I am sorry Selena."

Selena just stared at the King uncertain what to say. He wanted me to join his elite group of magicians? He must think that I wanted to be his group; my father probably told him I wanted to join. That bastard. I would have never forgiven him if Galbatorix invited me into the group. "Your majesty, I am honored that you considered me to join your group, and respect your decision of declining me. What will you have me do now?"

"All further instruction concerning magic will be ceased. You will not be encouraged to use magic anymore. Since you are used to using magic daily, I understand that ceasing to use magic will be. Just do your best not to use spells. Soon you will be a woman and will be married off to a gentleman your father and I approve of. I suggest you prepare yourself for your upcoming position."

Selena curtsied. "Yes, your majesty." NO! He mentioned marriage too. What am I going to do? I don't want to marry someone I don't love.

"You are free to leave now. Tell your father that I want to see him."

"I will." She bowed once more before leaving.

Selena relayed the King's information to her father before returning to her room. She was about to use a spell to ease her headache, but remembered that the king didn't want her using magic anymore. Defying her father was one thing, but defying the king was another story. She dared not disobey King Galbatorix. If she did, she knew that the king would tell her father who would take his revenge on her. She thought back to a time when her father beat her for disobeying the king. She shuddered at the thought and decided to just drink some water and lie down.

Selena had Bridgette stop her whenever she tried to use a spell. That worked all right until Selena had a fit and used magic anyways. Bridgette scowled.

"You know what the king said. Don't do that again."

"I haven't used magic in 2 days! If you don't report this incident to my father, the King will never know. Besides, it was only a small spell."

"Small or not, it's still magic. I will ignore it just this once, which is your only warning."

"Fine." Selena hated when Bridgette lectured her.

A few more days passed. Selena's party was to take place that evening. She was in her room getting ready for the masquerade. Bridgette was helping Selena with her dress. Clair waited patiently for them to finish so that she could work on the hair. Selena was already annoyed. Clair and Bridgette complimented on her beauty constantly. When Selena was finally all decked out, she looked the mirror. She could barely recognize herself under all the make-up and clothing.

"Here," Bridgette said, handing Selena a mask, "put this on."

Selena did and looked in the mirror again. Who am I? This creature I see is gorgeous, but I do not know her. The mask she wears hides her true self from the world. She cannot be herself because she does not even know how to be herself. She was never allowed to speak her mind, the few times she did she was silenced with violence. Her life is sad and there is nothing she can do to get out. She is a puppet to her father and her king. What will become of her? Will she find her courage and do something, or will she passively submit to the will of man and lead an unfulfilling life full of misery? Selena sighed. She sat staring at herself. Bridgette and Clair left her to think as they had other duties to accomplish.

An idea crossed Selena's mind, an idea that might work if she planned it just right. I may not know who I am yet, but I will one day. And, the only way that day will come is if I leave this dreaded place. I will play may part for a while and then make my escape deep in the night. Before the cock crows, I will be gone. If I should fail…no, I will not fail. I can't fail. I can't. I will not fail. I will not marry and I will not lead a life of misery. I will not fail.