Chapter 4

The guard who did not render Gwen unconscious walked over to Norrin's cell and unlocked it. With a creak, it opened up and the man walked out, freely. "Place her on the gurney and cover the body. We must leave immediately." The guards nodded and did as they were told. Together, they followed Norrin out of the prison using a different exit and headed for the outskirts of the camp. On their journey, they were stopped by another guard.

"What are you men up to?"

"We are out to bury a meager prisoner. He died this afternoon."

As the ritual was not uncommon, they we dismissed without any further interruptions.

Angela and Selena were not completely out of the camp, but far enough away so that they were not to be disturbed. Angela was out picking mushrooms and other plants and herbs while Selena plucked at the grass, sparse as it was. At times she would get up and walk a few feet before falling on her behind. Given enough time, she would have managed to master the art of walking that very day for she was determined. The sun was hot and shined down upon them. The guards that escorted them where walking around aimless and bored.

"Ah, this is a remarkable little plant," the witch exclaimed.

At the outburst, Selena turned to look at the woman. She cocked her head and stared at her in amusement. "This plant has a sweet scent that is used as an air freshener, but when crushed and mixed with a spell, it can be used in poison." Angela explained to the girl.

They were out for an hour before things went amiss. The two guards noticed a man with guards carrying a gurney. The man raised his arm signaling the guards who were with Angela to attack. With a smile, they turned to the woman and the child, who were still doting over the plant, and unsheathed their swords. Angela heard the metallic sound, but it was too late. The sword came down upon her and she was on the ground, motionless.

Selena cried. One guard grabbed hold of the rebellious child while the other bound her hands and feet, not because she might run away, but to restrain her movements to be less severe. Before long, Norrin and company approached them. "Good work. Now let's go, we are still too close to the camp."

Eragon met with Nasuada at the front of the prison. When she asked him where Gwen was, he simply told her that she went on ahead. Together they descended the staircase and trekked the long hallway of the dungeon. There was no sign of Gwen nor any guards on duty causing Eragon to become nervous. They stopped dead in front of Norrin's cell, open and empty. Eragon cursed out loud. Fool! Why did I let her go alone? He said, "What do you think happened?" to Nasuada.

"I know not, Eragon. Let's see if we can find some clues before we leave here in search of you wife."

"Right," Eragon said, his face pale. He examined the cell and found no means of force to the structure. "A guard must have opened this. Traitors." He spat. He was about to end his search until he saw something on the floor: blood. "Nasuada, look at this."

The woman walked to him and looked down where he pointed. "Blood! Do you think it's Gwen's?"

"Aye, Nasuada, we must go. I fear we have lingered here much too long."

In grief, they left with that one clue to the mystery. Nasuada and Eragon separated in order to cover more ground faster. They were searching the camp for anything unusual and asked men if they seen anything wrong. The sun was beginning to lower in the sky when Eragon became discouraged and went back to his tent. There, on his pillow sat a letter. He read:

"Eragon Shadeslayer,

I have your wife and your daughter. If you wish to see them again,

you will meet me on the eastern outskirts. A three with be your only

landmark to our position. You must come alone with your dragon and

tell no one where you are headed. Be discreet, should anyone follow

you, your family will cease to exist. The fate of your family rests in your

hands. I bid you adeiu.

-Norrin"

When he finished reading, he crumpled up the paper and threw it across his tent. Saphira roared in contempt. It is a trap, Eragon, but one that we cannot avoid. Come, let us be off. Your family needs you now more than ever.

He climbed onto Saphira. "Norrin's blood will be shed this night, this I vow."

Off into the sky they flew towards the eastern sky. They circled around a few times making it look as if they were still searching for Gwen within the camp. Then, they veered off and disappeared into the horizon.

Gwen awoke, her head throbbing and blood crusted and knotted in with her hair. She was dusty and cold, hungry and thirsty, and dreadfully woozy. It was hard for her to see clearly and comprehend what was going on around her. She heard men's voices whispering in front of her. She tried to move, but found that she was bound to a tree. No matter how hard she tried, she could not remember any of her spells. This frightened her and left her helpless. She heard a muffled movement beside her and quickly turned her head. She saw nothing until she looked down upon her daughter in the same predicament, only her mouth was covered.

The men stopped their talk and observed them. "Ah, you are no longer lost in darkness, glad to see it. Oh, don't struggle so, you will only make your predicament worse." Norrin said to Gwen as she tried to pry her way out of bondage.

"What do you want?" Her voice was hoarse and sore.

"A just question. We only want what my King desires, your submission, or your death. Your husband will decide that fate tonight. Speaking of which, here he comes now."