Chapter 21

Eragon yawned, but managed to stay awake. They were camped along the Ramr River and were a few leagues south of Bullridge. It was a few hours before dawn and the moon was behind a cloud casting a dull light upon them. Behind him, Selena shifted. A few minutes later, she shifted again. Finally, she sat up, groaning. "I can't sleep." Standing up, she walked over to her bag and took out some bread. Munching on a piece, she sat down next to her father.

Eragon just stared at her trying not to laugh. Selena took notice and asked, "What?"

"Nothing, you just remind me of your mother." He smiled, but his eyes became sad.

"You truly loved her, didn't you? Please, what was she like?" She took another bite of the bread, finishing it off.

"Well," he started looking at his daughter. "She looked a lot like you with long blonde hair, blue eyes, red lips, and rosy cheeks. Her skin was also a slight tan. She had a smile that could light up a graveyard, and her voice was like music to my ears."

"Really?" Selena coked her head to the side.

"Really. You are just as gorgeous as her."

"Thanks." Selena blushed.

"Gwen was not only beautiful; she was smart and powerful as well. I had no Idea she was the princess until the day she was murdered. Did you know that she could command a whole room of men and they would obey her? Not many women have that gift. She was also great at reading people as far as their character."

"How did you two meet?" Selena was very curious; she knew very little of her father's past and wanted to know more.

"It was years ago. I was only 17, and so was she. I was already a Rider and was searching for the Ra'zac after they murdered my Uncle Garrow and burned my childhood home, and it was just outside Yazuac that your mother snuck into our camp. She was trying to steal food and supplies. Apparently, she had managed to survive the raid in Yazuac and hid out in the woods. She happened to spot us passing through and waited until nightfall to strike. Well, I caught her stealing and tackled her to the ground. You see, she was dressed as a man, so I had no idea she was a woman until after I had her pinned. She struggled to get away, but to no avail. In the process, Brom and Saphira woke up and we asked her a lot of questions. When we decided that she was in fact an innocent woman trying to survive, I let her up and gave her something to eat and drink. She was forced to travel with us because we did not trust her enough to keep our identities secret. In time, she became a wonderful ally when we learned that she was a sorceress. The more I learned more about her, the more I fell in love with her. She was like no woman I have ever soon before.

Time passed, and after I defeated the Shade Durza, I was taken to Ellesmera. It was also at that time that Gwen was pregnant with you. Before I left to receive my training as a Rider, we were married. She was allowed to travel with me to Ellesmera for her protection and it was in Ellesmera that you were born. We were unable to stay there, so we came back to the Varden where news of your birth spread. For an entire year I did all I could to keep you and your mother safe. Then, one fateful day, you and your mother were taken hostage. I was led to the outskirts of the Varden where I had to witness you ans your mother tied to a tree. Norrin was the man who captured you, and I did kill him. Murtagh showed up and it was there that I was defeated.

Years passed before I was able to leave Ellesmera without fear of being noticed. Only very few knew that I had lived. The same few people know that you are alive and lived in the palace. I cannot even tell you how enraged I was when Murtagh announced you as his own child. But, I am thankful that no real harm was done to you. It was you that gave me the will to live."

Selena processed her father's tale. "You have endured so much. It sounds more like some fantasy story than anything else." She laughed.

"Aye, it is quite fascinating, but true as well. I have no doubt that your story will be just as entertaining. So far you have learned that you are not the daughter of Murtagh after being raised by him. The man you once thought as you Uncle, is really your father and he never tried to kill you. Plus, you are a Rider as well."

"Hmm…I guess that is pretty entertaining, huh?"

"It sure is. Now, tell me, what exists between you and Tristan?"

Selena became rigid. "Nothing. He is someone who helped my escape. He is nice and all, but I still barely know him."

"Ah, but those are reasons, Selena, and the heart does not listen to reason. He is a good man, and I see the way he looks at you."

"I know what you are hinting at, and I assure you that I do not feel that way about him."

"If you say so…"

"Look, I am not ready for a relationship yet. I am still trying to find out who I am."

"Selena," Eragon placed his hand upon hers, "I am not trying to pressure you into anything, but just be aware that he does like you and that he can care for you. Promise me that you will consider him, even if it is just as a great friend."

"I guess I can do that."

They continued to talk about random topics until sunrise where they headed around Bullridge and continued north towards Ellesmera.