Chapter 6

Eragon jumped out of the way as Norrin's sword came barreling towards him. With a quick motion of his arm, Eragon swung Brisingr, but missed his target. The men struggled back and forth in this manner for a while before more violent tactics were used. Before Eragon could respond, Norrin suddenly shouted, "Malthinae!" A powerful force held Eragon in place; he could hot move his legs or arms, all he could do was stand there helplessly.

Norrin smiled and walked up to Eragon. "I expected more from you. Now you will die." Norrin raised his sword and planted the tip on Eragon's chest. He held it there and said, "Any last words?"

"You will not get away with this. My death will be avenged as well as my family." Eragon looked around trying to find Gwen, but could not. He did, however, feel her presence nearby. "Gwen, I love you. I'm sorry, I could not save you"

"Touching, yet somehow nauseating. Farewell, Dragon Rider." Norrin began to plunge the sword into Eragon's heart. A sharp, blinding pain filled Eragon as the metal protruded his skin, but before the sword reached his organ, Norrin fell to the ground. Saphira's tail tripped the man from behind. In those few seconds, Norrin's spell was broken and Eragon was able to strike a blow at Norrin. Unfortunately, Norrin was quick and only received a small cut on his arm. Norrin reached for his sword that lay at Eragon's feet. Before his hand could reach the hilt, it was kicked out of the way. Norrin cursed and moved out of the way before Eragon could stab him. Saphira was standing by, waiting for a moment to strike if Eragon lost having the upper hand.

"What are you going to do now, Norrin? Looks like you will not survive long." As he said this, he saw Gwen carrying Selena. They stood under the tree watching the fight. An escape for Norrin looked impossible at this point; all his guards were dead, he lost his sword, and Eragon was blocking spells like an expert magician.

"We will see about that." Although Norrin's expression looked frightened, he still talked with confidence. Eragon advanced upon Norrin. He was about to strike a fatal blow when a thunderous roar filled his ears. The roar chilled Eragon's blood. He looked at the sky and saw Murtagh and Thorn flying overhead. Eragon cursed. Norrin laughed. Gwen ran with Selena towards her husband. Saphira roared back at Thorn but stayed on the ground.

Eragon returned his gaze to Norrin. "I vowed that I would kill you for capturing my wife and daughter." He thrust Brisingr into the man's stomach. "Die in agony." Norrin screamed, writhing in pain. He died soon after. Eragon headed over to Gwen and kissed her. He kissed Selena's brow afterwards.

Murtagh and Thorn landed near Saphira. Saphira growled in contempt. Murtagh jumped off Thorn and looked where Norrin lay dead. "Well you managed to kill my accomplice, but I wonder how you will fare against me?"

"We used to be friends, Murtagh. Now we are enemies. Look, just leave my family alone, I am the one that you want."

"I'm sorry, I can't do that. The King made it clear that you and your family are to die if you refused his generous offer. Actually, he made a correction, he wants you and Gwen dead, he is willing to spare his granddaughter. "

For a moment relief filled Eragon until he processed the last thing Murtagh said. "Granddaughter? What are you saying?"

"What, you don't know? Gwen is the daughter of the King, making Selena his granddaughter."

"You are lying." Gwen snapped. "It can't be true."

Murtagh turned to look at Gwen. "I assure you that what I say is true. You are a princess, but not for long."

"Not if I can help it." Eragon took his stance, ready to attack.

Murtagh laughed. "I am going to enjoy killing you."