Chapter 14

Evan and Selena avoided every town they came across. Traveling off the road was challenging for Selena, but somehow she managed. Every few hours they stopped to rest before pressing on. Neither of them talked much as they listened to their surroundings hoping they were not being followed. By nightfall, they made camp. Lighting no fire they sat down on the hard, cool ground. The stars and moon shone brilliantly in the night sky. In the distance, a wolf howled sending shivers down Selena's spine.

"Don't be afraid, he won't come near us." Evan took off his pack and took out some food and passed it to his companion.

Selena took the food. "You seem so confident about everything." She took a bite out of the bread.

"Not everything, just some things are not worth worrying over." He took some food and ate it.

"Oh." They were silent for a while eating their sparse dinner. Soon, Selena became restless and had to break the silence.

"Do you have a special someone, Evan? You know like a girlfriend, or a wife?" She surprised herself with her bold question.

Evan's demeanor stiffened, Selena lowered her eyes, ashamed that she broached a sensitive subject. "I'm sorry, I was only curious."

"It's all right. You deserve to know more about me. I was married once, long ago. She was the most beautiful woman, and I loved her dearly. I miss her so much. Losing her was one of the hardest things I ever had to endure."

"Evan, I'm so sorry. " She was almost in tears because his story was so sad. I can't even imagine what it would be like to lose someone you love. Poor Evan. I wish I could do something to help.

"Don't be, it's not your fault." Evan sighed.

"I know, but it is still sad."

"I have been through a lot of sad times, but right now, you are my focus. Keeping you safe is what I intend to do."

"Why are you doing this? You barely know me."

"I know you more than you think, Selena." Evan's voice became soft and his eyes sparkled.

"I don't understand." Selena looked at him with wonder.

"You are a rider's daughter, and therefore have the power to make a difference. I came to your celebration to see you, and your father. I could tell you were not happy there. Someone like you deserve better than that. You said yourself that you ran away because you didn't want to marry Charles. What do you want out of life?"

"I just want to be free. I want to find love and have a family of my own. I don't like being forced into anything. Look, this might sound crazy, but sometimes I feel like I do not even belong in the castle. I never got along with anyone except my governess. I feel like I was made for something much bigger than the wife of some nobleman." Selena became excited.

"If you permit me, I can help you gain the life you seek. It will not be easy, but I will do all I can."

"Thanks. But you never really answered my question. Why me? I want a better reason than being a rider's daughter."

"Fine. When I look at you, I see a powerful sorceress. You have spirit and have the strength to help others. Right now you probably don't believe me, but in time, I think you will be someone people will adore. Also, your personality is charming and you are very smart and agile. Don't take this the wrong way, but for the longest time I have been observing you. I just wanted to know what your father and the King had planned for you, and how you responded to their plans. I don't realize how grateful I am that you are rebellious towards them."

"Wow, that's a lot to take in. You watched me?"

"I did, yes. I don't regret it either. Anyways, do you want me to help you?"

"What do you plan on helping me with?"

"I can teach you more magic. Your skills need some improvement. I can also teach you how to sword fight and how to shoot an arrow. Self defense is key."

"Really?" Selena asked, giddy. "You'll teach me how to fight?"

"Yes." Evan smiled at her enthusiasm.

"Thanks. I really want to use magic more, I love using it!" She got up, made a pose, and said, "Brisingr!" Fire shot out of her palm and hit a tree, singing it.

"You are as giddy as a child in a candy store," Evan laughed. "I am honored to be your teacher." He bowed.

Selena laughed as well. "Can I ask you something?"

"You just did."

"Funny. I want to know where you learned magic."

"Well, I was born with it, but I didn't know that until later on in life. Selena, what I am going to tell you is dangerous, so please, keep it a secret."

"Who am I going to tell?"

"Good point…Anyways, Selena, I am a Dragon Rider."

Selena's face paled a little. "No way? How is that? Only my father and the King are the only rider's left…they killed…" she trailed off.

"Remember when I told you that the King doesn't know I am alive?"

"Oh, yeah, I remember that." Selena stared at Evan. Am I wrong to suddenly become suspicious? He did save me, twice, and is offering to teach me, but still, I do not know him that well. I mean, I know of him and the things he told me, but he could be a very good liar. He hates the King, he is probably going to use me against him…

"Selena, are you going to be all right? You look sick. My news bothers you."

"Evan, I don't know what to think. I am grateful for what you have done, but now, I don't think I can trust you. You want to use me against the King, don't you? That's why you observed me and helped me, isn't it?"

Evan sighed heavily, his eyes sad. "I might not have been completely honest with you, Selena, but using you is not my plan. I want you safe, and using you to fight the King is not keeping you safe. "

"That's not a good enough reason. I'm sorry. I can't trust you now because…"

"Because why? I don't understand how me being a rider makes you nervous. I thought you would be happy to know that there are more in existence."

"Evan isn't your real name, is it? There has never been a rider by that name. All the eggs have been hatched, except for one, and that egg is still safe in the castle. Years ago two riders were killed. One was Oromis and his dragon Glaedr, and Eragon and his dragon Saphira."

Evan became very rigid as Selena recalled the history. "That is true, and you are right. My name is not Evan, but Eragon."