Chapter 29

Tristan was awake before Selena and just laid there with her in his arms staring at the ceiling. It wasn't very long before Selena began to stir. "Good morning." She yawned still trying to wake up.

"Is it really a good morning?" He was still in a foul disposition.

"What is on your mind?" It really was more of a rhetorical question, but Tristan answered her, and not in the way she expected him to.

"Fate, that is what is plaguing my thoughts. I swear the gods must be toying with me." He was still staring at the ceiling.

Selena became confused with his answer. "What do you mean?"

For the first time that morning, he looked at her, his eyes sad and tired, and said, "I find it strange that I should fall in love with you during the time my sister falls ill. I feel like the gods are having me trade in my sister if I am to be with you."

"Tristan, don't talk like that!" She sat up and gazed down upon him.

"Think about it, you have to admit that is weird." He sat up as well and stretched his arms, yawning.

"I will not admit to something so foolish." She was getting nervous.

"So now you are calling me foolish? Thanks Selena." He growled, stepping out of the bed.

Selena couldn't believe what he was saying. "No, just your thoughts. Maybe you are not feeling well…"

"Stating the obvious much? Of course I am not feeling well! My sister is dying and there is nothing I can do about it. And then, and then there is you. It's not fair that I stumbled upon something so wonderful, but my poor sister has nothing." He started to weep.

Selena wiped her eyes as tears splashed her face. After, she slowly got up and placed her hand on his shoulder trying to comfort him. "You don't know for certain that she will die."

He brushed off her hand, shook his head and said, "And you called me foolish." She took a step towards him, but stopped when he said, "Just leave me alone." He collapsed back on the bed, shaking as he soaked the bed with his tears.

Selena sighed heavily and left the bedroom, closing the door behind her. The ache in her heart could no longer be contained as she sobbed violently and sunk to the floor hugging herself.

Eragon was up early so he decided to head on out for a walk. The cold air woke him up as he walked around the small village. Only a few others were out and about minding their own business. When he had come back to the house, he took out a bowl, filled it with water, and chanted the words allowing him to speak to Arya. He learned that Saphira should be on the outskirts of the village by midday. Before they severed the connection, Eragon explained to her in detail about Adele's illness.

"I have never heard of anything like it; it only sounds as if she has a bad case of the flu." Arya said.

"Do you know of anyone who might be able to give me some advice on how to possibly help her?" Eragon asked.

"I don't know." She shook her head, and thought for a moment. "If there is anyone who could, his advice probably would not help you anyways. The supply of medicine and herbs that we have here cannot be found by Morton."

Eragon nodded. "You are right. Take care Arya."

"Give my best to Adele; I am sorry that there is nothing I can do to help. I will see you soon then?"

"I will tell her and I will see you soon enough." With their last goodbyes, the bowl went dark and then clear once more. Eragon sighed and placed the bowl on the table, staring at the liquid.