Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

A week has passed since the incident and Leona and Devon were still under house arrest. Human school was canceled until further notice to repair the damage the earthquake caused by Leona's uncontrollable powers. Luna was still unconscious with no indication of her waking up any time soon but she still talked to Leona every day through the telepathy the two shared.

One day, Leona was sitting on her bed reading a novel about fallen angels when someone knocked on her door.

"Who is it?" Leona asked, momentarily taking her eyes off the pages of her book.

"It's Dracula." He said, his voice sounding the same as it did the day he grounded the teenage witch.

"Oh, come in the door is unlocked." Leona said and marked her place in the book as Dracula entered the room.

"I received a letter today from the vampire consul." Dracula replied and he sighed before rubbing his head. "You and Devon are to stand trial for Raiden's murder."

"Are you serious?" Leona asked with fear.

"Very." Dracula said. "Normally only Devon would be taking the blow for what happened because he's the only one who is a vampire in this situation, however this case is special because you have helped him and the other vampires are worried about your actions. Because of this you are to stand trial with him and I need to teach you how to respect the consul. Vampire trials are far different from what you see on television."

"How so?"

"The vampire consul is made of the oldest living vampires. I myself am a member of the consul. We all decide on whatever punishments we hand out however this time I will not be a part of this trial except to act as a lawyer of sorts. The other five members will decide your fate. The consul must come to a unanimous decision and with only five members this time instead of six; it's a little harder especially since I'm one of the gentler members."

"What else is different about these trials?" Leona asked.

"The two of you will be judged together but it's possible that you two will have different punishments if you receive any. It's also possible that the consul will be able to help you control your powers somehow since I was unable to do that."

"Would I have to demonstrate my powers?"

"I doubt it. Is it possible? Yes. Do I think it would happen? No."

"Dracula, I know this may seem out of place and like I'm trying to change the subject but are you upset with me?" Leona asked.

"About the situation?"

"Yeah."

"I was at first because of how much trouble it was going to bring. However I do understand what caused you to act the way you did. I just wish you two came to me first so we could've handled this properly. I was already in the process of handling the situation with the consul when the two of you pulled this stunt but I'm not upset anymore. I'm not going to let up your groundment but I remember what I did when I lost my wife."

"I heard about that."

"Who told you?" Dracula asked shocked.

"Pryase did shortly after you grounded me. Apparently you wiped out a lot of people during the Vietnam war."

"Yes, that place was riddled with war so I went on a rampage there. I was heavily reprimanded for it but since I ended up helping the war end I wasn't killed for it."

"Sounds like you got lucky to me."

"Extremely, and I never once take that for granted. I was lucky to be able to keep both my life and my position, but now I worry for you two. You two really are great kids, and now you can be terminated for what you have done."