Welcome to Alianza

"What do you mean I have to take a break!?" Gazette Abalone was beyond furious and frustrated. After so many years of being a successful Gamemaker, President Cezala asked her to take a vacation and relax for "at least a year."

No, this was not that dimwitted Thaila Cezala; the President is her uncle though. And that's the only reason Thaila got the position.

"My dear Gazette," the President began kindly. He was a rather old man, and quite in tune with amity, "You've done so much. The past five years have been very tough on Panem, you know." And he spoke the truth. Because of her deceitfulness in the creation of the Games, Gazette was enlisted as a military strategist to aid the President.

During the past five years, ever since that little boy Ashre Relicks won, the other stable countries of the world decided that the Games had become too corrupt to continue. Not even the very own districts of Panem believed that. They were beyond relieved when they learned that an innocent child could, in fact, win. And even more so when the runner up was a girl only a year older than the thirteen-year-old boy!

And in those five years, with the help of another country who enjoyed the Games, Gallia, the populated countries got invaded, Panem-Gallian style. Within four years, four motherlands were overruled. Within the following year, the people had been enslaved and each country served as a new District. Not added to Panem, of course; there was much too work to be done before that could ever happen!

A stiff woman walked in, with a regal posture and high cheekbones. Her hair was weaved into a brown crown and her golden eyes glittered. The President of Gallia, Jearamine. Gazette's heart thumped harder in her heart. That woman made her so ... queasy.

Like always, Gazette bowed down a bit and shook the President's warm and silky hand. She must put a lot of lotion. They then greeted each other warmly as two sisters would. They worked in close quarters for five years, of course they got close. Maybe a little too close at times...

With a slight accent, the leader of Gallia began to speak, "Have you told Gazette our plan yet?" Plan? What plan!?

"No, my dear, I was hoping you'd do the honors," he replied. The honors? More like he didn't want Gazette to yell at him in front of his servants.

"Gazette," Jearamine turned to the Gamemaker solemnly, "As you know, we took four countries. Hielia, Berrano, Acanliano, and Pletoria. All four of those caused us our greatest problems in the miniature war and I was thinking we should punish them, the way you do here to your people in Panem. It can be a new generation for your Games! I think this would be very successful and show everyone that Panem and Gallia mean business. No one can threat us, not once they see what we can do with their natives."

Gazette's skin began to tingle, and not because President Jearamine was touching her shoulder as they walked. This idea was genius!

"But what about us in Panem? How will we choose our tributes?" Gazette didn't really care; she just wanted to keep the President of Gallia happy.

"Oh, darling! Your country wouldn't participate! Except for you of course, I'd like to assign you the head Gamemaker of these Games as well," President Jearamine said with a big smile, "Although, I'd have to 'kidnap' you and take you to another country. Your President doesn't want you involved in these Games."

Blood rushed to Gazette's face. This was it. This could be it! Without hesitation, she answered, "Yes, of course. I'll begin packing while the President begins his speech tonight!"

A proud smile decorated Jearamine's face. "I suppose this is a beginning to a great," she switched to her native tongue, "Alianza. Alliance."

Yes, and an even better beginning to the Quarter Quell.