Breaking Hold

Stiles found it hard to slip away from Derek's grasp, perhaps because it was the last time he'd ever be in it. Of course it didn't have to be, he and Derek could still see each other but there would be no excuse. That only meant one thing; Stiles had to admit his ongoing lust for the mysterious beta and he couldn't possibly do that. Stiles didn't know why exactly but it felt wrong, like he was somehow betraying those he loved by taking what he wanted for a change.

When at school, Stiles tapped his pen nervously on the textbook, however this time it wasn't caused by Derek. The full moon was tonight, something he sort of forgot about, and he didn't even know where Scott was on the scale of control. Did they make such a thing? If so, how high did it reach, because Stiles was certain his control was going faster than the millisecond it took for any wolfs eyes to glow.

"I'll be fine." Scott nodded unconvincingly when he and Stiles took a seat at their lunch table.

"You don't know that, Scott." said the human, "Once your heart goes up, you only know one way to keep from turning."

"Allison's gonna be there." Scott stated in sudden confidence, "I'll be able to see her on the bleachers."

"Yeah," Stiles scoffed, "right next to her werewolf hunting father! If he sees anything-"

"I know." affirmed the newborn wolf and sighed, "If things get too intense, I'll leave."

"You can't just waltz out of a lacrosse game and expect no one to ask questions." Stiles pointed out, already hearing coach scream across the field.

Scott shrugged, deciding to put a little faith in his abilities, "They won't be fast enough to try."

Stiles let out a resigned sigh, knowing it was nearly impossible to get Scott to change his mind now.

____________________________________________________________________________________

"Scott, are you sure?" asked his human best friend in great worry.

The jersey-wearing beta nodded, "Yeah, I'll be okay."

"It's not too late to back out." Stiles nagged, "You just run out and I'll tell coach you got sick or something."

Scott's lips formed a tiny grin, appreciating how sacrificial and caring Stiles could be when needed, "Even if that'd work, I'm gonna be fine, Derek showed me and I have Allison."

I really hope that's enough, Stiles thought to himself, grabbing his lacrosse stick as the team headed towards the field.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Stiles' heart raced, probably quicker than Scott as the full moon brilliantly lit the night sky. Of course, he hadn't been out in it yet, expecting to be bench-bound for the whole night. But Stiles didn't really mind, this way he could keep a better eye on Scott, make sure his own weren't glowing gold. A player from the opposite team crashed into his werewolf friend, barely shoving his shoulder enough to receive Scott's rage as he whipped around, stealing the ball before the player could take a step. Running fiercely past all the defenders, Scott lifted his stick, whole body powering the swing that went directly over the goalie's head. Stiles saw him smile, brown eyes content that he'd scored. Scott looked over at him, nodding his assurance that all was well. Stiles relaxed slightly, taking his eyes off the field for the first time since the game started. He analyzed the audience, clapping and cheering or sulking down in frustration. That's what Stiles felt like doing, going over all wrong things he'd done for this one night and try his best not to think of- Derek! Stiles' eyes widened, suddenly completely awake and aware of the trees at the other side of the field. There stood Derek, probably making sure the game went smoothly, it couldn't possibly have anything to do with Stiles. Wishing to check that himself, the boy took a quick glance at Scott, confirming that he remained human. However, when returning his gaze to the trees, there was no Derek to be found. Great, Stiles thought, now I'm hallucinating the bastard. This was just peachy.