Unlike This World

"What's your biggest secret?" Stiles asked as they walked through the woods, continuing the question game from last night.

Derek had a few, however, none he wanted to share. Too bad for him, he'd already refused a couple questions, Stiles might begin to fear both him and his past. Deciding on one that didn't involve him killing anyone, he said, "The house fire was my fault."

Stiles looked at him in shocked confusion, "What're you talking about?"

Derek smirked, not wishing to go into that tale of crap, "Nice try, my turn. What about yours?"

The teen thought for a moment. There wasn't much, Stiles was a very open person, not a whole lot to hide. However, he shared the first thing that came to mind, "Ya' know the second night I came over?"

Derek nodded, finding his curiosity was underestimated, "Yeah."

"You thought I was nervous because I didn't want to be there but," the boy looked down, cheeks blushing, "I did. When you told me to leave I- I wanted to tell you how much I wanted to stay but- but I just couldn't."

Derek didn't respond, he just kept walking, a smile shaping his ever so kissable lips. Stiles cleared his throat, starting on the next question, "How was the fire your fault? I thought it was some kind of gas leak."

"No." Derek shook his head, a sad smirk covering his oncoming anger, "I was seventeen and going out with a girl who I didn't know was a hunter. She found out about my family and I, locked them in the basement, and set the house on fire."

Stiles stopped walking and stared at Derek in a muted form of revelation. He wanted to say he was sorry but knew what good that wouldn't do. Derek lost his entire family to the fire, nothing Stiles said could make it better, "Did you love her?" he asked, coming to the knowledge of Derek's fragile heart.

He sighed quietly, knowing it was his turn but Stiles deserved a freebie, "No," the wolf shook his head, smirking as he looked straight ahead, "I just thought I did."

Stiles look down at Derek's hand, wondering how that bitch could've held it and still betrayed him to such an extent. The boy intertwined their fingers, Derek glancing down at him just in time to meet Stiles' sorrowful lips. Suddenly, everything was better, he had trouble remembering his heartache and traitors, almost wondering if they ever existed. The wolf's hand squeezed Stiles', never wanting to let go of the one thing in his life that was pure goodness. There wasn't a speck of evil or hate in the teenage boy which contradicted Derek's life in exact. Stiles brightened his world, made it seem less like- well, like the world.

__________________________________________________________________________________