End

The boy sighed in relief, grateful that the muck with his father was swept up. Scott approved the story of Stiles being at his house so it was all sorted. His father was his father and his best friend remained his best friend. Everything was back to normal and it felt refreshing. That is until clear skies were swallowed by dark clouds, disappointment emerging from his almost mended heart.

Derek lied to me, Stiles reminded himself, I trusted him with a secret and he couldn't even keep it for 24 hours. True, it wasn't 100% fair to the wolf but it would've prevented all of this. He'd probably be wrapped in Derek's clothless arms right now if he'd have just kept his promise to Stiles.

"Oh my god!" Stiles shrieked, covering his mouth in hopes to not draw attention to his father.

"I'm sorry." Derek said, standing beside the boy's window.

Quietly shutting his bedroom door, he replied, "Not the first time you snuck up on me."

"Not about that." Derek shook his head, slowly approaching Stiles, "I just thought that if Scott knew and given time he'd accept it- accept us."

"He does." Stiles nodded, walking past the wolf to his dresser, "I talked to him and he told me it wasn't his choice, that I should do what I want for a change."

Derek's eyes brightened, turning to speak towards the boy, "Then why didn't you come back?"

Stiles closed his eyes, loss filled the bloodshot molecules, "Because I'm not sure if that's what I want anymore."

Derek exhaled, breath hitching as he looked at the teenager in agonized confusion, "What are you talking about? Not five hours ago, you wanted everything I did."

"Derek, not keeping Scott in the loop wasn't just part of the deal." began the teenager as he dug through his drawers for sleepwear, "You told me- promised me that he'd never find out. Then a few hours later you just let him walk in on us. Do you have any idea how embarrassing that was?"

"Oh well," Derek squinted in hopes of holding back liquid sadness, "I'm sorry I'm such an embarrassment to you."

"You're not." clarified Stiles, "Just the situation and timing. Besides, it's not about that anymore."

"Then what could it possibly be?" Derek asked, tone beginning to sound like a plea, "Why do you keep scrounging up reasons to end it?"

Stiles turned to face the wolf, anger causing his teeth to grit, "You think I was looking for this? It slapped me right in the face when you flat out ignored what I wanted!"

"I know I screwed up, Stiles!" Derek stepped towards him, "But it's over, everything's fine with Scott and your dad. It worked out better anyway, now you're not constantly lying to your best friend."

"You're right," Stiles said, clutching tightly on the clothes he held in his hand, "I hated lying to him but that doesn't change the fact that you didn't give a thought to how I felt about him knowing."

"Really?" Derek asked, tone softening in disbelief, "Stiles, your feelings are all I think about."

The boy kept a stern face, "If that was true we wouldn't be in this situation right now."

Derek shook his head, knowing Stiles had no idea how much he cared about him, "If you didn't matter to me wouldn't be in this situation right now. Our entire relationship only happened because you matter to me."

"Yeah," Stiles scoffed, "and look how that ended."

Derek was silent for a moment, heartbreak sketching his eyes that moistened every second, "Ended?"

Stiles' gaze drifted, falling to Derek's feet, "I'm not sure, but how am I supposed to trust you when I know if something happens you'll put what I want aside because you think it'll be better that way?"

"Do you honestly think I don't care about you?" inquired the disbelieving beta.

"I know you care." Stiles affirmed, folding his arms sadly, "I just don't know if that's enough anymore."

Derek stared at him, crestfallen expression emptying out his dim eyes. What more did he have to do? Whatever Stiles wanted, the wolf would give but he'd already given him all he had. Stiles swallowed, setting down the clothes he previously clenched within angry fists. Derek held back his tears, feeling too hollow for them anyhow. He stepped forward, Stiles eyeing him cautiously. Not in fear but wonder, flinching slightly as Derek's hand met the side of his face.

The beta looked softly at him, bulbs of water tempting his lower lids, "I really thought you were gonna be the one I wouldn't have to say goodbye to."

"Derek," Stiles shook his head, hand pressing to the wolf's, "it might not-"

"You won't come back." Derek said, thumb grazing the corner of his wide eyes, "They never do."

Stiles couldn't speak, not given time before Derek's lips met his forehead, numbing his erratic thoughts. But then it was over, the wolf slipping from him like a bow coming undone. Stiles felt the winter breeze brush past his face from the open window. His eyes wetted, Derek was just gone.