Missing Him

Well, it was Monday. Nobody likes Mondays no matter if they have werewolf relationships to deal with or not. Stiles caught no sight of his missing wolf, not that he expected to, but was simply hoping. The guilt-determined teenager would march over there right now but his brain refused to cooperate. This was his heart- his feelings ordering the movements. If only he knew what they wanted.

"So," Scott began insecurely, "what happened?"

Apparently hoping Stiles would forget that he asked that question five times already, Scott looked curiously at his friend, "What do you mean?" Stiles inquired back dumbly.

"With Derek." Scott egged, taking note that his human friend knew exactly what he was referring to.

Stiles sighed, not wanting to go into detail about how much he missed the wolf that was secretive yet open to only him, "Nothing happened, why?"

"Something did." Scott continued while eating a fry from the poor looking cafeteria food, "I can smell him on you."

Stiles' eyes widened, wondering if he smelled like Derek days ago, "Wait, if you can smell his scent on me-"

"Why couldn't I before?" Scott finished, a shrug following, "I don't know. I guess I just wasn't looking."

Stiles glanced oddly at him from across the lunch table, "And now you are?"

"Not really but now I know what's going on so it's kind of automatic." explained the newly censored wolf.

"Yeah, okay." Stiles nodded, aware that it had more to do with Scott's protectiveness over him and recently found hatred towards Derek.

"So, what happened?" Scott asked again.

Six, counted the human boy, that made six times now. He thought about telling Scott to mind his own fangs but knew his friend was only trying to help, "Derek came by a little after eight."

Scott nodded, however still found himself unsatisfied, "And?" he then squinted, "Wait, do I wanna know?"

Stiles cracked a smile, "PG, I promise." relief swept over the boy's friend as he continued, "He basically said he was sorry for everything happening the way it did and that he cares about me."

"Derek?" Scott's eyebrows raised, "Derek Hale said he cared about some- you?" Stiles' gaze drifted to the side, trying to accept the fact that Scott just didn't know the brooding beta like he did. "Sorry," he apologized immediately after, "I'm just still getting used to this whole thing."

"Yeah," Stiles scoffed "me too."

Scott looked guiltily at his friend, sensing that he was torn, "There's something else."

Stiles shook his head, not sure if he was talking to the right person about this but he didn't have anyone else, "I think I made a mistake, Scott."

"What?" he asked, an accepting tick in his dark brown retinas.

"I-" Stiles sighed in failure, "I don't know how to say it."

"Just say it." Scott encouraged, "I'm not gonna judge you, you're my best friend."

His eyes traveled down, thankful for such a friend because that's exactly what he needed to hear, "I pretty much ended it with Derek." Stiles began, fingers twisting nervously in his lap, "I said things that I didn't mean and- and I miss him."

Scott's expression remained, lips pressing together as he formed his thoughts into words, "If he really cares, like you said, then he probably misses you too."

"I know he does." Stiles said quietly, regret and confusion filling his voice, "I just don't know how to or even if I should fix it."

"You should." Scott stated, receiving a surprised look from his friend, "Missing a person means something even if you can't figure everything else out until later."

Stiles smiled, wondering why he doubted Scott's friendship for a second. He met his friends eyeline, speaking under a false cough, "Allison."

Scott throated a laugh, taking a quick glance around the cafeteria, "Shut up!" Stiles chuckled back, thinking about the contentedness he found in Derek's company. Why'd he ever let that go? But nevermind, he'd be within his wolf's cozy arms soon if Derek chose to take him back.

____________________________________________________________________________________