chapter#20

*Chloe Armel*
I locked arms with Dana and breathed."One...two..three!"
Pebbles skittered underfoot as the we bolted down the road.I found it hard to run while keeping step with Dana but we were getting away.
We're going to make it! I thought.
One of the guys shouted  something from behind.
From a distance behind us I heard the van doors slam and the engine roar.
"Quick—into the woods!"
I pulled Dana along,synchronizing our footsteps. Thorns tore at my bare legs but I ignored the pain.The fear of not seeing Reece again was giving me the fuel to save myself.
I had to keep hidden.
I has to keep running.
My heart pounded. Through the trees,I heard the van moving down the gravel road not far away from us.It was hovering, tracking us.Then it roared past.
"We're getting away!" I whispered.
We broke our pace to climb over some rotten logs.Allie and Jade followed.After that the woods sloped downhill to a clearing lit by the half moon.
"The main road," I gasped."We made it! We can follow it to town!" I wanted to cry ." May be we can hitch a ride back!"
An engine sounded in the distance.A car.
"We're saved!" Dana cried dragging me towards the road.
"Wait! It might be them." I pulled her back."We have got to hide until we are sure."
I spotted a clump of boulders jutting out near the top of the incline."Behind those rocks!" I shouted.
The girls clambered their way to the boulders and ducked behind them.
The night was silent except the crickets and the sound of the approaching vehicle. Then tyres squeaked to a momentary halt and headlights flickered over the rocks.
I held my breath as the beam washed around me. . .then moved on.I peeked over the rocks —and saw the kidnapper's van slowly roll down the road.
They didn't see us,I thought.
We're safe..
Then Dana screamed.
And I felt a hard yank on my wrist.
Dana had lost her footing and was tumbling down the incline. Pulling me out from our hiding place and down the slope.
Down. . .down we fell.Sliding through mud,banging into rocks and tree roots.
At the bottom we rolled to a halt.
I felt a sharp pain in my ribs but I had to get up.
"Come on ,Dana! We've to get out of here!They might come back!"
But Dana sat frozen,gaping at the road before us in horror.
I followed her gaze.The van was returning.And the beam of its headlights hit us.
Pinning us.
We were caught!

††††††††††††††††
I pulled frantically at Dana's arm.
"Come on! We've to get away!"
Dana shook her head."My foot," she cried."it's stuck in the mud."
My heart sank as I stared at her buried foot—and at the handcuffs connecting me to her.I heard Allie whimper from somewhere above.
The I saw the door on the driver's side of the van open. A shadowy figure stepped out.
He sauntered around to the front and the headlights hit him.
"Greg?" I said.
He did see me in the parking lot! I realized ."Greg!" I called out.
"Are you all okay?"Greg asked softly when he reach us."Here Chloe,take my hand," he said."Careful Dana.I'm going to pull you both to your feet."
He managed to get us safely upright.Then he went up the slope for the others.
We're actually safe!
When we were all standing beside the van I heaved an enormous sigh.
"What about these?" I asked Greg,holding up my cuffed wrist.I motioned to Allie's and Jade's handcuffs too.
"We will deal with that later," he said in the same soft voice."First let's get out of here. Those guys might drive back through here any minute."
Inside the van,I let myself sink into the seat beside Dana and relax.We were safe.We were heading back to the school.Reece. . .I could feel my nerves calming down when his face popped in my head.
Everything was going to be fine.
Relieved,I glanced out at the dark night.We were driving on a quiet two-lane road.Old fashioned lamp posts whipped past the window.
I bit my lower lip.I thought that Dave guy had driven us from the school toward the cabin on a highway."Are we lost?" I asked Greg.
"Don't worry I know where I am going. ."
We stopped at a railroad crossing.Then barbed wire fencing sped past the window.A dark stretch of tired buildings.An old warehouse.
I had a weird feeling.
"Greg I don't think this is the way back to school."
He braked for a red light."How about a cheer to pass the time ,Chloe?" He suggested.
"You know my favorite? Oh I'm gonna get you.oh yeah ,I'm gonna catch you!"
He turned and gazed at me.The gleam in his eyes made me shiver. That song. . .
I gasped.
Because I knew. .
"Oh yeah.I'm gonna get you," he murmured again as he hit the gas.
The song that he had played on the cell that night.The song that blasted from the car. .
The note on the bloody doll. . . .everything.
Greg was the one.

††††††††††††††††

send me quotes guys I will post it on the start of a chapter.

Soooo ur thoughts?
Carrots?Anyone?