Chapter#24

Chloe stood frozen with fear. So did the other cheerleaders.

"I said show time!" Greg yelled."Now!"

Chloe's heart skipped a beat. She pulled Jade into place behind her and saw Dana and Allie step into position as well.

All she had to do is follow Jade and Dana's steps!

Greg jabbed at Dana with the rusty hook. "Line up,the way I've seen you do at a practice. Go ahead."

Chloe saw Dana's eyes widen with terror as the hook sliced through her sweater,grazing her arm. Greg gave the hook a tug,pulling her in to line In front of Chloe.

"That's better." Greg removed the hook then sat back in a chair. He pointed the flashlight at the girl. "You've got the spotlight. Let's see the first cheer."

The first cheer! Chloe's mind clicked through possibilities. She did remember all her school cheers.

She took a deep breath and shouted, "Victory let's go!"

"V-I-C-T-O-R-Y!" The girls shouted. " Victory is our battlecry!"

They clapped and stomped and moved on rythm.

Chloe glanced down the line as Greg's words echoed through her mind.

"If anyone messes up—even the slightest bit—somebody dies."

"Victory!" They repeated once,then twice. Each time, the girls stepped out farther into the V formation.

"So far so good," Greg announced." Keep going."

Chloe led the girls through another cheer and then another.

They were more together than they'd ever been before. Even Jade held up.

They were almost through. When they finished ,would he let them go?

Chloe couldn't take the risk. Her mind  raced. What could she do?

Then it came to her.

She shouted the name of the next cheer.

"We're gonna get you, let's go!"

It went smoothly. Every step was in sync, every clap in perfect rhythm. Chloe considered waiting to see what Greg did when they finished the cheerleaders. After all, he'd said he'd let them go. And even if he tried anything,it was four against one.

Maybe she should play safe. . .

Then,out of the corner of her eye,Chloe saw Jade step out with her left foot instead of her right .

Did Greg notice?

Chloe glanced at him. Greg's eyes were on Jade. He rubbed his chin and the corners of his mouth quirked upward.

No! Chloe thought in desperation.

Greg's gaze met hers. His eyes held an amused,knowing expression.

And Chloe realized what she had to do.
They reached at the end of there cheer.
She took a deep breath.
Here goes!

She moved around to the front,landing right In front of Greg.

Smirking ,he lifted his hands to clap.
And she pounced.

She swiped the big flashlight right out of his lap. Swinging with all her might, she whacked it over his head.

"Fuck!" He growled, ducking.

"G0!" Chloe screamed to the girls."Run! Go!"

Their footsteps pattered across the floor as Chloe kept her eyes on Greg.