1-800-Cinderella (21)

I have another upload. WHOOOO !!! XD This story has not that many chapters left. I'm close to ending it. ARE YOU EXCITED? I AM. Tell me what you think :)

Rye continued to rub small circles into my back as I sipped my glass of cold and refreshing water. Alright, so anxiety mixed with alcohol wasn’t a good mix and resulted into hurling all over the place. Fabulous, that was ample notes for my toast. Tired after all of the stomach clenching throw ups, I sat up and looked to Rye.

“We need to talk, right?” I asked, a little smile on my face. Rye nodded. “You saw me with Trevor.” He nodded again. “You want to understand.” He nodded yet again. “You’re angry.” He cocked his head to the side. “Disappointed…” He gave a curt nod. “Great, we’d make a great charades team.”

Rye snorted. “What in the hell were you doing with him, Cindy?”

I sighed, looking down at my hands. “He planned this huge way to ask me to the ball, and I said yes. Then we got drunk and he brought up the idea to go skinny dipping into the pool and I did. Then we got out and put on robes and he drove me home. What’s the problem?”

While rolling his eyes, Rye still managed to look amused. “You can’t really expect me to believe that was all you had done together in that pool. Plus, you were both naked.”

“That’s what skinny dipping is…” I wasn’t in the mood for this.

“Mom?” Ben’s little voice called to me from the kitchen. I turned to face him, as he rubbed his tired eyes. “Can I have some dinner—I didn’t get any since you came late?”

Shit, way to be a great mother. I stood up, frazzled, and patted his hair. “Yeah, sure thing. Sorry, Ben. Go sit and watch TV. What do you want?” I opened the fridge.

“Mac and cheese, please.” He hopped on his toes and then ran to the couch, turning the TV onto the National Geographic channel. Well, at least he didn’t watch Spongebob and get taken all into the gay shit.

“Right on, sir,” I teased.

“Hi, I’m Rye,” he introduced himself to Ben and Ben smiled, waving.

“Rye, come in here,” I called out to him as I pulled out a bowl and some bread. Rye walked into the kitchen and sat in a chair, seeming at ease here.

“You have a great kid.”

“I haven’t told anyone, but he’s not really my kid. He is my sister’s son—I just took him in when he was born because she was too immature to handle it at the time, even though I was younger than her, but whatever. Now she comes back ten years later and has a set court date for us, so she can win him back. I’m scared, actually.” Admitting this out loud sounded so depressing.

Rye laid a hand on my shoulder, squeezing. “Your sister’s one day appearance can never account for all the eight years of yours.”

He sounded so reassuring and confident in his statement. It allowed a littler sliver of hope to build up in my chest, and billow out throughout the rest of me. “Thank you—you don’t know how good it is to hear you say that.”

“Look, the real reason I came by was not to lecture you about Trevor because I’m not your boyfriend, I have no right. Although I do believe we have some kind of connection so it’s time I tell you the truth about myself.”

I put the noodles into the boiling water, turning to face Rye. “Does it by chance have something to do with how you pay diner bills with hundred dollar bills and drive expensive cars while being a janitor?”

Rye stared at me, stunned. “Nothing gets past you, huh?”

“I’m a mom, what do you expect?”