Seven

"They're unresponsive!" They shouted, everyone scrambling to get what they needed. One grabbed the AED, charging it up. Once it was clear, they placed it over the heart, trying to give it a jump start. The first time didn't work, and they tried again, but again nothing. Another was trying a different strategy, but so far no luck. Trying one more time, they jump started it again, and this time they heard a beeping noise coming from the machine next to them.

"Thank goodness." The man said. "From now on, we need to keep a closer eye on them. Check on them every half hour."

Everyone else nodded, and they checked up on the others, not seeing anything change. Switching out the bags of liquid for new ones, they went back to the observatory room, Watching them closely on the cameras throughout the room.

***

They waited for what felt like forever, Mark sitting underneath the window, taking first watch as he told them he would. Lily finally came back down, but didn't speak to anybody, just pulling a chair up next to Sean, watching him. Kristen and Jackie were asleep, leaving Mark, Bridget and Lily awake.

"I hope he wakes up soon." Bridget said after a minute of silence. "I just don't want you guys to lose someone again..considering what happened with you."

Mark shrugged. "Yeah, I know...we all hope he wakes up."

"What did happen to you?" Bridget asked. "I know you died..but how?"

"Basically like any other death these days.." He said. "I got infected while fighting a group of zombies with them."

Her eyes widened. "So you really shouldn't be alive right now then.."

Mark chuckled. "Yeah, I shouldn't be..but I don't know how the hell I'm alive." He looked ahead in the distance. "All I remember is..getting infected, feeling it numb everything in my body so fast..then telling them about it..only I was kinda forced to, but I had to tell them at some point. I still remember..when I told Sean to end it all by killing me." His eyes started tearing up. "It was hard for all of us..but he did the deed in the end..and that's all I remember before I woke up in a field alone."

Bridget let out a big breath, shaking her head. "Wow...that's...insane..to think that someone would survive that.."

"Especially a shot to the head." He said, looking over to her. "I have no idea how I'm alive, like I said. But...I am miraculously."

"You're an extremely lucky person then." She said.

"Yeah..I am."

She stood up, heading to the other side of the room, laying down. "Well...I'm getting some rest..so see you in the morning or whenever we wake up."

Mark nodded, and she turned her back to him, falling asleep instantly. He looked over to Lily, and she hasn't moved, sitting in front of Sean, gripping his hand, still awake. Deciding to leave her alone, he continued to take watch until he dozed off.

***

Ironically, Mark was the first one to wake up, the sunshine bright as he opened his eyes. Running a hand through his hair, he stretched his arms before standing up. He was surprised Lily fell asleep, her head lolled to one side, him thinking she'd stay up the whole time. Walking up to her, he shook her shoulder, and she woke up right away, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes.

"He didn't wake up yet, did he?" Lily asked.

Mark shook his head. "No, not yet."

She only sighed, not saying anything else as he went to wake everyone else up.

"Morning, already?" Jackie asked. "Doesn't feel like it."

He knelt in front of her. "Well it is." Kissing her on the forehead, he helped her stand up.

"Anything yet from Sean?" Kristen asked, getting on her feet.

"No, nothing yet." Mark said. "I hope he wakes up, though.."

They only nodded, standing around.

"So, now what?" Bridget asked.

Mark glanced around. "Well...I think we should find some food..considering we're not at that plant anymore, we'll have to hunt again."

"I don't think we should, though." Kristen said. "Because you're still on the soldiers most wanted list, and they're still out there looking for you."

"That's why we stay hidden as much as possible." He said. "I know a little area of woods not too far from here, and it's pretty tucked away from everything else. Not a whole lot happens there." Walking over to his stuff, he eyed Lily's crossbow. "Mind if I borrow this for a bit?"

She waved it away. "Go for it..I don't care."

Smirking at her, he grabbed it from her backpack, making sure there were enough arrows before he headed towards the front door. "I'll be back."

Jackie immediately caught up to him. "Let me come with you."

Mark looked at her. "Sure."

"Hunting probably won't be the only thing you do.." Bridget muttered, making Kristen laugh a little.

"We heard that." Mark said, shaking his head at her before the two of them headed out to find something to eat for the whole group.

Comment and vote! :) Comments r always appreciated!