Nine

"Shit!" Mark shouted, stomping out the fire as quick as possible. "Goddammit!"

"What're we gonna do??" Bridget asked, freaking out.

"We gotta hide!" Kristen said. "It's our best option right now!"

"Where would we hide, though??" Bridget asked. "They're gonna scout this whole place!"

Mark looked around in a panic, seeing something behind him. "There." He said. "It's all we got for right now." He looked over to Lily. "Lily, come on. We gotta hide."

She only shook her head. "No..."

Kristen's eyes widened. "Are you serious?? Do you wanna die??"

"We're not gonna lose another!" Jackie said. "Just get up and hide! The soldier's are almost here!"

"We need to get out of here , Lily!" Mark said. "Either you come with us, or stay to die!"

She stared at them for a few more seconds before she slowly stood up, not moving from where she sat.

"I'm not leaving him here...I can't.." She said, shaking her head. "I don't want it to be the same way when we had to kill you, Mark."

"It won't be that way." He said. "Listen..we can't just stand here and debate this all out, so here's my opinion: we need to leave him here. He'll be a weight for us right now, plus we can't exactly carry him 24/7."

"No." Lily said right away in a serious tone. "We're not leaving anyone behind!"

"We don't have a choice right now!" Bridget said. "Sometimes you gotta make a sacrifice you know you'll hate! And right now, I think it's a good time to get the hell out of here, and leave him!"

"And what is he gonna do if he wakes up to find out we're gone?" She asked, glaring at them. "Huh? He's gonna think we abandoned him, that we left him to die! And I can't let it happen!"

"He won't!" Mark said. "He would never think that!"

"Guys, if she's gonna stay here, then let her." Kristen said. "We obviously can't change her mind...plus the soldiers are literally feet away from us, and they'll shoot!"

"What's it gonna be, Lily?" Mark asked seriously. "Stay or go?"

She glanced down at Sean and back at the group, walking around to the front of the table, leaning against it. After not moving for a couple seconds, Mark gave a nod.

"So it's settled then.." He said. "Well...let's go guys."

They all immediately ran out of the building with their weapons, leaving another group member behind. Jumping through the back window, they all heard the soldiers shouting as if they were in the room.

I got one of them in here. She's not doing anything.

Then take her in. That would be one down three to go.

"No...they can't take her in." Bridget said. "We have to go back in there!"

"We can't." Mark said. "It's too late...let's just..keep moving."

They started to walk away when gunshots were heard, and they all froze as they kept hearing it. They immediately thought of the worst: that the soldiers shot her down, as well as Sean. That they finally got two of the group members, leaving just Mark, Bridget and Jackie on their target list. Hearts pounding out of their chests, they continued walking away when the gunfire stopped, followed by footsteps. On instinct, they had their weapons at the ready.

Lily had her hands in the air, her stuff with her. "Relax...just me."

"I thought you were staying." Kristen said.

She only shrugged. "You were right...sometimes we gotta make a choice we'll hate.." She walked past them. "Let's go..."

They all looked at each other before following her from behind, making sure no other soldiers were around. Everyone was silent for a while, a little surprised that Lily would leave Sean behind just like that, out of the blue. Heading into another tunnel, cars were all over the place, some with moss growing from underneath. The roads were flooded like always, some spots shallow.

"Time to swim again." Bridget said, stepping into the frigid water when Mark stopped her from going any further.

"Listen.." He said.

They all listened, and they all heard a noise they knew anywhere.

More zombies.

Comment and vote! Don't b shy to leave a comment! :)