Chapter 18 : The Painful Past- Part one

Gems p.o.v.

It's always been hard for me. Trusting people that is. Even when they haven't kidnapped me. So, I'm having a bit of trouble expressing my past.

         I don't know how he's expecting this to go down. He can't expect me to be comfortable with him......can he? Oh to hell with it. Worse case scenario I have to kill the both of them when I'm free. Not a big deal, once I get out of here it should be an easy task anyway.

         Besides, it could actually be nice to get it off my chest. As painful as it might be to re- live all those horrible memories. The burden of having all that suffering and death on my heart is really starting to effect me negatively. It could be good for me to finally relive myself of this.

          Fighting against my suspicion, I take a seat next to the man that presents himself as my kidnappers father. Ha, I can't help but laugh to myself. Both of my kidnappers parents seem to be decent people. I wonder where the hell they went wrong with their offspring?

            I clear my throat softly before spiraling into a world of pain I know I won't be able to pull myself out of.

" These tags on my neck are military. I served as a sergeant for two years. My first year was spent as a rookie in training."

      Subconsciously, my hand wraps itself around the smooth metal on my neck. It's a bitter cold to the touch, but it comforts me into reality.

        The older man seems unaffected by my confession. A mask of curiosity now planted on his face. Now more interested in my story, his eyes urge me to go on.

         " It was my third year, my second as a sergeant. I was taking my team on their first mission. "

------------------------------------------------------

              Four months prior : Time 00.00 - midnight.

The night is cold, it's harsh winds unforgiving and stiff. My men are shaking like pansies, their lips quivering with the bitter cold, but their hearts are warm and steady. They're all ready for this, I can feel it in my heart.

           Following me as I start, are my five field men. Kai at my back, Dave at his, Goan holding together the middle, Jet covering the land sweep, and finally James keeping us all together. The six of us total making up our perfect team.

We had spent months and months working up to this. My harsh teachings and un-gentle hands crafting them into hard working, reliable, and trustworthy field men.

Each one of them in exceptional. Different specialized and individual skill sets, all working perfectly together. Our team is perfect, it has every aspect I could ever ask for in my men. Trust, respect, skill, and loyalty. If I told them to jump, they'd leap. Exactly what I needed to perform how I needed.

Kai is- of course- my right hand man. The two of us are the closest in the team. Not saying the rest of us aren't close. The five men trailing behind me are the most true hearted on this side of the hemisphere. They are all special to me, each one finding their way into my heart somehow.

Dave is a big burley man, often mistaken as a veteran- not a cadet. A scruffy russet colored beard adorned his neck at all times. He refused to shave it. His eyes were hazel, and brimming with boisterous laughter. As a young boy, his father had the atrocious tendency to beat him. Harshly.